Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Southside Family Health Centre

evgreen is offline Registered User

Southside Family Health Centre

Does anyone see a pediatrician at this practice? Two of the pediatricians are also at the Central Health practice which is the same group. I have an appointment with Dr. Carmen Tam tomorrow who is a Matilda doctor as well. I want to switch pediatricians because going into the city is just too much hassle sometimes with a small infant since we live on the Southside. Just want to know if anyone has had any experience with her. Is she pro-breastfeeding? Our previous pediatrician seemed quite clueless when it came to breastfeeding which is another reason why I'm looking to make a switch.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by evgreen View Post
    Does anyone see a pediatrician at this practice? Two of the pediatricians are also at the Central Health practice which is the same group. I have an appointment with Dr. Carmen Tam tomorrow who is a Matilda doctor as well. I want to switch pediatricians because going into the city is just too much hassle sometimes with a small infant since we live on the Southside. Just want to know if anyone has had any experience with her. Is she pro-breastfeeding? Our previous pediatrician seemed quite clueless when it came to breastfeeding which is another reason why I'm looking to make a switch.
    I used to go there. I heard mixed things about Yvonne Ou (from friends) but I was very happy with Christie Chan (who's officially a family doctor but she saw my children too). My friend (who's a doctor herself) found her very good too. However, I found it quite expensive, and since we're paying a part out of pocket (due to the way our deductible is set up) I now always go to Gavin Lau at Quality Health Care in Stanley Plaza (we're also in Tai Tam). It's cheaper, open 7 days a week, he's friendly, quick in and out, it's just the easiest option for us. Luckily our children are healthy and have very little issues and whatever they have is very straight forward. I go there myself if needed.

If you're keen on going to Southside, I can definitely recommend Christie Chan. She called me back, followed up, lovely doctor.

rebekah is offline Registered User

We've had great luck with Dr. Yvonne Ou for both of our girls, but I can see how she might not suit an anxious parent or first time mum who needs lots of reassurance.

aussie mum is offline Registered User

I find Yvonne Ou to be quite over the top with the amount of meds she prescribes. Although she is thorough and approachable. I am more of a "less is more" kind of person when it comes to illness and Yvonne would have us bringing home every medicine under the sun! I personally prefer Christie Chan also.

Thank you for your responses. I'll give Dr. Tam a try today and see how it goes. It's a vaccination and development check up appointment. I do find that doctors in HK are only too happy to give you all kinds of medication...even antibiotics! I always do my research and use caution. Most of the time, I don't even need it, but I guess good to have on hand just in case.

I've seen Dr. Lau in Stanley before (for me) and find him very helpful for last minute drop ins. I'll keep him in mind for the LO if we can't get to a pediatrician for any reason.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by evgreen View Post
    Thank you for your responses. I'll give Dr. Tam a try today and see how it goes. It's a vaccination and development check up appointment. I do find that doctors in HK are only too happy to give you all kinds of medication...even antibiotics! I always do my research and use caution. Most of the time, I don't even need it, but I guess good to have on hand just in case.

I've seen Dr. Lau in Stanley before (for me) and find him very helpful for last minute drop ins. I'll keep him in mind for the LO if we can't get to a pediatrician for any reason.
    Quality Health Care is great for the basic stuff. Immunizations are also wayyyyy cheaper there. He gives referrals when needed as well, so I feel very confident bringing my kids to them. Again, it's easy!

Dr. Tam was great with administering vaccines. It was the least traumatizing experience for Faye so far. I have to agree, it is very pricey though!