Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Most expensive Preschool

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

PIPS' 50K debenture is fully refundable (so it's more like a deposit).

Gracey is offline Registered User

PIPS baby playgroup -- two brief sessions a week -- is several thousand.
    When I saw that, I organized my own baby playgroups at home!
    It's one thing to spend the money when they are old enough to really learn formally.
    But to have a bunch of infants and toddlers crawling around playing with toys -- not worth the money.

wanyin is offline Registered User

How good is Highgate? What is their curriculum like? My child is attending a preschool playgroup, and they charge $250 for an hour during their summer sessions. (each session is 2 hours)To be honest, the classes are absolutely excellent, the teacher was a montessouri (woodland) teacher, and I have enjoyed every class with him, from morning aerobics, to circle time, to cultural lesson, to arts and craft, to dramatic play ....I started off with 2 days a week, then added a 3rd day, the a 4th day now.. I switched my son out from his other playgroups to attend this new playgroup but it is costing me an arm and leg. thinking of other good options. any suggestions?

fafreak is offline Registered User

I looked into PIPS - they asked for my debenture cheque pretty quick but never even offered me a tour or got a "spiel" on their wonderfulness. I walked out since it was clear that at least wear I was concerned, money was all that mattered.

VitC is offline Registered User

My daughter will be going to PIPS Pre Nursery (International) Stream at the Kowloon branch. She was also in the PIPS Playgroup with Miss Shona.
    While I am not denying that the fees for Pre Nursery (International) Stream is on the expensive side ($68XX), if you compare with many of the other Pre Nurseries, many are charging about the same price (including Greenfield). I think if you compare Highgate, it seems to work out more expensive. The Local (Trilingual Stream) is cheaper at $38XX
    She had an excellent time with Miss Shona and its not the same as getting many babies together to play at play dates. They have sensory play, circle time, arts and craft, outdoor play. of course you could organise all that yourself if you decide to do not want to go to playgroup. I feel she has developed alot under the guidance of a caring playgroup teacher and is an outgoing and social person. Most parents who have met Miss Shona at playgroup would agree she's a fantastic and caring teacher.
    Generally in HK it seems most private schools seem to be able to charge a premium and parents still come. I see many parents supplementing Mandarin teachers even for toddlers - the tutors take them to the playgroup and supermarket and speak mandarin to them. Such is HK.

Kmami likes this.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by VitC View Post
    While I am not denying that the fees for Pre Nursery (International) Stream is on the expensive side ($68XX), if you compare with many of the other Pre Nurseries, many are charging about the same price (including Greenfield). I think if you compare Highgate, it seems to work out more expensive. The Local (Trilingual Stream) is cheaper at $38XX
    It would be more interesting and comical to compare the cost to this: http://www.law.hku.hk/programmes/fees.html
    Yup, PIPS (and others) cost more than a full time Law degree at a prestigious university.

Generally in HK it seems most private schools seem to be able to charge a premium and parents still come. I see many parents supplementing Mandarin teachers even for toddlers - the tutors take them to the playgroup and supermarket and speak mandarin to them. Such is HK.
    Indeed but parents do have a choice of sending their kids to perfectly good and much less expensive options.

Gracey is offline Registered User

I agree with Howard. Just saying "Such is HK" doesn't change the fact that it's ridiculous.
    We could afford PIPS, but I don't want my kid going to a place that we found kind of snooty.
    We were told that those who paid a higher debenture would have greater priority over those who didn't.
    I don't mind expensive schools -- they exist all over the world -- but ranking kids on whose parents have more money felt wrong to me.
    I'm seriously considering our local Cantonese place -- not to save money, but so our daughter will be exposed to regular Hong Kong folk. After all, I originally come from a working / middle class HK background.
    I'm also a bit shocked at seeing rich Hong Kong kids who can barely function without a helper around. I don't really want my daughter having friends who are all like that.

marie313 is offline Registered User

I think partly the reason for PIPS fees is to do with the rent. Parkview is super expensive, and PIPS is massive. I have not seen any other kindergartens that have such a big music room or children's kitchen, and certainly none with a playground and garden that compare.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast