Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Tsan Yuk doctors appt

First timer is offline Registered User

Tsan Yuk doctors appt

Hi ladies
    I have had my first appt at TY and am wondering does anyone know what happens at the doctor's physical exam which was booked for two weeks after my 12 week scan? Bit nervous...found the whole experience unexpectedly overwhelming the last time...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

blessed is offline Registered User

unpectedly overwhelming on your first appt at TY? because of the long wait or other arrangement done?

for the first doctor's appt at TY, it will pretty much be the doctor going through your file which was prepared during your first visit. they will tell you the findings of the blood test results, the oscar scan, go through your medical history and then accessed where to assign you for future appointments (for general / low risks case they will assign to the nearest MCHC, and for high risk case or those that they would need more monitoring will remain at TY or to QMH). They will also ask if you are planning to do the structure scan in the public system and if interested to join the prenatal exercise class, since the doctor will need to sign the referred letter for you to go process with registration for those. If you are planning to do so and they forget to ask, just ask them!

for my case there will was no extra scan during the doctor's appointment and just to listen to the heart beat with the doppler. Got my referral slip for the structure scan, I skip the exercise class this time round but did it for my first, and all my subsequent checks are assigned to MCHC, which you can choose which one to go to at the registration counter after.

It was overwhelming due to language barrier. While English was spoken in the exam rooms, beforehand bar the receptionist, the nurses spoke Cantonese. An English video was shown a few mins after the nurse finished speaking about DS but before and during her 15 min talk, no indication was given that non Chinese speakers would be catered for. To reply to your q on other post, I am not of Chinese ethnicity.

In what way is the doctors appt physical? Is there a cervical smear carried out?
    Posted via Mobile Device

cactus is offline Registered User

Hi First Timer. Relax a little, the only thing you need to pay attention to while in the waiting room at Tsan Yuk, is your name being called out. There is really no reason to talk to the nurses in the waiting room.
    I also don't speak cantonese and I don't think I'm missing out on much. As long as the doctors speak English, I'm fine. I had a super friendly doctor at Tsan Yuk when I was there for my second appointment. She was amazing.
    They check your babies heartbeat, your breasts and your neck. Before that they talk about your blood test results. Also I think they check your sugar levels in your urine. Like I said the doctor spoke perfect English and she was very nice, answering all my questions.
    There is no cervical smear carried out. I got another appointment at an out-patient clinic in Wan Chai and another one for a thourough ultra sound scan at week 20 in Tsan Yuk.

calypso is offline Registered User

I don't speak Cantonese either, but my husband does. Didn't matter though, like cactus said all you need to listen out for is your name.
    For my doctor's appointment she just went through a series of questions about my medical history (same as the 12w appt), gave me my blood results, oscar results, listened to heart beat with doppler and checked my breasts.
    Admittedly it was quite impersonal and very quick, so much so that I couldn't even remember any questions I had. No one reminded me about antenatal classes and I accidentally signed up for the talks but not the exercises, but that's ok you can do that later - which I did.
    Cervical smear I was told by a private OBGYN you can do after delivery if you need to.
    Since I'm low risk all my appointments are now at the maternal health clinic where they do the protein & sugar tests in your urine, as well as blood pressure and weight.
    It can be a bit daunting at first but once you go a couple of times you work out the system and it's not so bad.

Doctor's appt

Hi girls
    I had my appt and it did go fine phew. Definitely less daunting than the first time.