Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Gracey
  • 1 Post By evgreen

Worried first timer

Preggers is offline Registered User

Worried first timer

Hi, can anyone tell me if it's fine not to see the baby in the sac when I'm 4 weeks pregnant?
    Also, need help on hospital + dr charges in private hosp. Can anyone tell me roughly how much for the whole delivery thanks

Aquarian is offline Registered User

4 weeks is very early! Most people are only just getting their first positive test at 4 weeks. I don't think it would be possible to see anything that early so don't worry. Have another scan in 2 weeks, you should be able to see something then.

I'm surprised your GP tried so early actually.

carang is offline Registered User

likely there isn't a baby or a sac at 4 weeks....

do a google search for "pregnancy week by week" to see what exactly is going on during each week.

for hospital info.... do a search on this website. it has been discussed hundreds of times. the last time was only a few weeks ago.

good luck and congratulations.

aquarian: if she is seeing a private doctor, it isn't so surprising... they charge hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars for every scan they do... why do you think they tend to scan every visit??? (call me cynical)

LOJITT is offline Registered User

Very normal not to see much at 4 weeks. Most Obs will tell you to come back in a few weeks when they can see a sac and a heartbeat and get you booked in.

Very briefly, re a private delivery, there are two ways you can go about it

- If you have a strong preference on which hospital you want to deliver at, call them and get a list of Obstetricians who deliver there, and choose one.

- If you have an Obstetrician recommendation already, then go to see them and find out where they deliver.

There are many many Obstetricians in HK, and they vary widely in terms of personality, approach to delivery, where they deliver, cost etc, so you need to have an idea of what you want. The c-section rate is very high, so if you want a normal delivery, make sure you ask them what their stats are, because they all talk a good game, but lets just say that many are somewhat averse to getting up in the middle of the night :-)

The all inclusive cost of pre-natal care and a normal (vaginal) delivery at Matilda in a private room would be around HK$110k. There are cheaper options though.

HTH

Gracey is offline Registered User

Most people don't even know they're pregnant at 4 weeks. I wouldn't worry.
    My doctor also had me do a ridiculously early test, which was a waste of time and money, and also made me overly anxious when they couldn't see anything.
    If you're using a private ob/gyn in Central, particularly a "name brand" one, be careful that he is not milking you for cash with lots of extra, unnecessary scans and treatments.
    My first doctor rambled on about possible twins, etopic pregnancy, miscarriage, as soon as I found out I was pregnant, and sent me off for scans and tests that I later realized were not needed. He tried to convince me I was high risk, and prescribed painful, expensive injections. Even worse, he caused alot of emotional stress.
    When I sought a second opinion with a less "famous" doctor, I realized that doctor #1 was just fooling around with me.
    I stayed with doctor #2, who used a moderate amount of tests, very little medical intervention, and was calming and relaxed.
    If your doctor has you worried about not seeing a sac at 4 weeks, question that doctor's wisdom.

elle and carang like this.

Gracey is offline Registered User

I had a private room at Baptist and a vaginal delivery. Including everything -- my choice of ob/gyn, epidural, private room and meals for 5 nights, baby care, baby brought to me on demand in my room, medicines -- it was a $90,000.

But I had a complication that caused me to spend an extra two nights in hospital before the delivery. Usually for vaginal delivery, it's only 3 nights. So maybe other people spent less. I had to pay for 2 extra nights.

carang is offline Registered User

Week 4
    (counting from first day of last menstrual period)
    Around 2 Weeks After Conception
    Please keep in mind that this information is approximate. Each pregnancy is different and growth rates vary. If you have any questions, please check with your care provider.

Fetal Development:
    Taking root! Implantation occurs. Once the blastocyst gets to the uterus, it searches for a spot to settle down. Blastocyst means "sprout pouch," and these cells begin to divide into two groups - those that form the placenta and those that form the baby. The blastocyst will burrow itself into the lining of the uterus which is called implantation.
    Multiples: Same as above times two, or three, etc. See week three for more information on twinning.

Maternal Changes:
    At the end of this week, you'll be expecting your period (or hoping it won't come if you've planned your pregnancy). Some of the first pregnancy symptoms are very similar to those experienced at the time your period is due such as fatigue, breast soreness and mood swings. You may be feeling these things and thinking "I guess it didn't happen this month." Just wait a few days . . .
    Multiples: You probably aren't even thinking twins yet unless you've had infertility treatments. Your symptoms will be similar to singleton moms but intensified.

Ideas for Dad:
    Is Mom ignoring you while she's waiting and hoping her period will (won't?) start at the end of the week? Or is she a clinging vine? Whichever (and nearly everything in between) she is, she's normal. It can be an emotional time for her.
    Inspirational Thoughts:
    Let us make pregnancy an occasion when we appreciate our female bodies. ~Merete Leonhardt-Lupa

evgreen is offline Registered User

big news! at 4 weeks pregnant, my home pregnancy test couldn't even detect my baby! and when i took the blood test at 4 weeks, the levels barely registered 'pregnant'. i didn't see a sac at 5 weeks with an ultrasound. didn't see anything at all until 7 weeks on ultrasound. there are many threads on geobaby.com on the costs of delivery in private and public hospitals if you take the time to browse around.

carang likes this.