Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Visa entry requirements for helper's relative

nltempany is offline Registered User

Visa entry requirements for helper's relative

I am going to fly my helpers sister over from the Philippines so we can meet her and trial her to be our second helper.
    What I need to know is will she need to Have proof of a return flight ticket in her possession?
    I know she gets a 14 day tourist visa upon arrival. But what will she need to provide to get her visa?

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has flown a potential helper over on a tourist visa and started the processing once she arrived. I believe that when the tourist visa expired the helper can go to Macau and then return to HK. Then when the 2nd visa expires she can return to Macau and wait for the FDH visa? Is this common? What are the risks?

Biggie is offline Registered User

I had similar situation before, but she couldnt even get on the plane. First attempt it turns out there is an exit tax in philippine for locals and she didn't have enough money on her to pay. We changed her flight and then the immigration won't let her leave the country because they didnt believe she was coming to visit. They believed she was coming to work illegally. This is despise support letter from us explaining she is here to visit her aunt who works for us. Perhaps she just didnt know "the right answer" (or bribe?) to get through. This was leaving Cebu.
    It might not happen to you, but just to share my experience.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks. That is good to know.

carang is offline Registered User

i would also beware of sending the helper to macau to wait for the visa. a visa application can take 6 weeks. airfare to PH is cheap as is their living cost when they are there. if you send them to macau, would you be paying for their hotel & food, too?

i would be VERY wary of sending the helper to macau at the end of her 14 days in order for her to get another 14 days. it is completely up to immig how long they allow them back into hk, if they let them back in at all.

peainpod is offline Registered User

We brought my then helper's cousin over for a two week visit several years ago. (my helper was moving to Canada and we wanted to meet her cousin before hiring as her replacement.) I did have to write a supporting letter and HK Immig called me to confirm details when she arrived at the airport. But she was successfully let in and returned home two weeks later. )We then processed the papers while she waited in the Phils.)

But this was several years ago and the authorities may be more strict now.

we brought our first helper's husband here prior to hiring him, too. the first time he came, he stayed for a month. we DID have issues with immig and i had to talk to them on the phone on more than one occasion.

last april we brought their son here for 2 weeks, no issues at all...

Thanks for the advice. I think to be safe I will provide the helper with documentation to prove that she is coming to trial as our second helper. And I will also provide her with proof of her return airfare to Philipines.

no, no, no......do NOT, NOT NOT do that!

it is illegal for her to do ANY work at all for you until she has the visa! telling them she is coming to "trial" for you would certainly put a full stop to her trip!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast