Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Bringing a toddler to the UK for holiday

OlympicMummy is offline Registered User

Bringing a toddler to the UK for holiday

Hi all, my husband and I are planning a 16-day trip to the UK and very much undecided whether to bring our 18-month old daughter. We are not from the UK and have no friends or relatives there. We plan to drive around as much as we can and so a little apprehensive to bring the little one. Any insights? Suggestions, tips? I know it's really our choice but I would just want to know how you lovely ladies think... I've only been to London once when I was single while my husband studied and lived in the UK for 7 years so this will be our first time together and looking to explore more.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

Leave toddler at home:
    1) She wont appreciate nor remember it
    2) Toddlers hate long plane and car journeys
    3) You and hubby wont have any peace during trip

Gemma is offline Registered User

To me, the more important issue is who will be looking after your toddler if she stays back in HK. If you are confident that she will be in good hands, then i agree her staying is probably the better option. Jet lag is horrible, you will have some time to yourselves and probably enjoy your holiday more. Personally I find it hard to leave my little ones for more than 2 days though, just miss them too much haha!

carang is offline Registered User

no way would i leave my 18 month old at home. HC is right, she'll never remember it, but YOU will.

we took our two kids 18m & 3.5 at the time to australia for a month-long RV trip. it was great! yes, we had our moments, but we had a fantastic family vacation. she won't remember it, but we will. we will remember her chasing the ducks, falling asleep in the carseat, playing at the beach, feeding the kangaroos..... they are our memories and we cherish them.

peainpod is offline Registered User

We also have great memories of traveling to different places with our little one. At every stage, the challenges are different - and yes, holidays are a very different experience from when we used to travel child-free. For us, when our son was 18 mths we went to Hokkaido in the summer time and rented a car to drive around. It was actually one of the "easier" vacations as once he is strapped into the car seat, it's quite nice driving around the countryside. (Our big challenge that time was finding appropriate food for him.)

Anyway, if you do decide to bring your lil one, I don't think you'll regret it!

carang is offline Registered User

I guess it comes down to this: a family vacation or a romantic getaway?

Sent from my GT-I8150 using GeoClicks Mobile

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User

Take a night flight, and the journey shouldn't be too bad if you can get your toddler asleep. They generally leave late night HK time (circa 11pm) and arrive early morning UK time (circa 6am). On the way back, you can depart at around 10pm UK time so have a night flight again. The flight is around 11 hours so there is a good chance your toddler could sleep for most of it.

We've done both Australia and England with our toddler and had a great time - yes you'll have to plan around their schedule somewhat but that it part of parcel of being a family. We've got memories, photos and videos that will last our lifetime too. Personally I don't like leaving my little one for two days, let alone two weeks!

carang likes this.

OlympicMummy is offline Registered User

Just reading your replies made me cry! I want to bring the little one with us and it was hubby who brought up the idea of leaving her. I'll show him this thread and see whether he'll have a change of heart. Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast