Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Phonics Land - Class starting every Wed 26 Sept 3pm

baby09 is offline Registered User

Phonics Land - Class starting every Wed 26 Sept 3pm

anyone interested in attending phonics class at phonics land in causeway bay on weds 3pm?? Belinda the boss (i think) taught the free trial class and i thought she was really good - however she only has this free slot and there must be at least 4 kids to start it. the child must be at least 3 to start. i think including my child, we need at least 2 more to start. Pls call jane at 25762333 for details.

baby09 is offline Registered User

hi choamberr,
    my child just turned 3 and her class mates are around the same age. apparently they dont accept kids younger than that cos i called 6 months ago so not sure how come they put you on the waiting list. btw our class is already full. have not had teacher jaclyn so not sure if she is good or not.

Luzz is offline Registered User

Hi, we have just had the trial with Ms. Belinda at Phonics Land. Yes, she's really good as I could see in the class. She told me that I can consider an existing class on Tuesday 5:15pm. Is anyone in this class? I am not sure if I heard it right, there are already 5 kids in this class, and if my girl is joining is that mean 6 little one in a class?!?! Wouldn't it be too "crowded"?

For the Wednesday class you are talking about here, how many kids are there in the class now?

Thanks

wanyin is offline Registered User

Are you on the waiting list ?
    6 in a class might be too many, especially if all the children are 3 years old?
    I just pm you luzz- regarding 'tricks' to have less people in a class. My son is now in a semi private class at phonicsland and he is progressing extremely well.
    I hope you can form a group soon !
    Posted via Mobile Device

Luzz is offline Registered User

Thanks Waiyin. Appreciate your info. I am going to call up he center again to verify the number of kids in the suggested group. So how much are you paying for the semi private? U mean 2 in the class?

Thanks

Anyone here interested about the class? My girl is turning 3 in Nov, knows the 26 sounds and beginning to blend CVC ( taught by myself). Anyone with similar level interested to form a group together?

I realized that some kids fail from phonics classes they attending else where would be good to join them. I sat in the trial class. I really think the way they teach phonics/ how they introduce the sounds is very helpful to help kids eliminate some of the potential problems they might encounter when it comes to spelling and blending longer words.
    I have done some homework on teaching phonics and I have an elder (4and a half yr old) used to learn Jolly Phonics (with a center and later with a private tutor at home), nothing wrong with the system, but I think it's the way the sounds were introduced, we later need to spend lots of effort teaching him about spelling and reading longer words, as well as reading accurately especially the ending of the words.
    A few examples, I like Belinda stresses a lot on which sounds are to read out loud and which do not (in a funny way that kids will remember well), and the understanding of the importance of vowels in a word right from the beginning of the course. These help building very important foundations right from the start and the progress becomes smoother as it built up.

peggs is offline Registered User

Hi Luzz
    I attended the trial lesson at phonicsland ( not with the teacher you had) and I agree with you, their unique method amazed me. My daughter actually learned phonics for about 5 months elsewhere, but still has not been taught all the alphabet sounds. I was told by her teacher that it takes them about 6 months to learn all the sounds . The trial amazed me because the teacher 'magically' taught Ariel the remaining sounds that she had yet to learn - all within a mere 30 minutes. She walked out of the trial - knowing all 26 sounds ! I calculated how much the trial lesson saved me ( $ 3000 worth of classes at the Center where Ariel was having her phonics lessons)
    However, Ariel is very shy and she seems to have trouble enjoying group classes . Enquirer about private lessons at phonicslands and it was just too expensive for us. I am now waiting for Ariel's cousin to finish off his credit at another phonics Center , and then have them take a semi private class which costs a lot less. Luzz , good luck. Hope you can form a group soon!

P.s. doesn't the Center help you group students?
    Posted via Mobile Device

chrcheu is offline Registered User

Can I have the website of the center? Want to know more about it, so minimum age is 3? My son is 2 yr 2 months now

wanyin is offline Registered User

I think it's phonicsland.com.hk . Nothing much to see on their site though. Try calling. 25762333
    Posted via Mobile Device