Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

In an emergency?

Aquarian is offline Registered User

In an emergency?

I'm registered at UCH in kwun tong because that's my catchment area. I've been told if I have any bleeding I need to go straight to hospital. I work in admiralty and I'm only 20 weeks at the moment.

If I started bleeding at work should I go to UCH or go to QM as they specialize in problems?

lesliefu is offline Registered User

If you're bleeding and you work in admiralty, go to the nearest hospital....QMH.

charade is offline Registered User

For me, it would depend on the bleeding. If it's a lot of blood coming out continuously accompanied by cramps, particularly severe cramps, I would rush to the nearest public hospital. If it's a slight amount of bleeding and no cramps or just twinges I would go to UCH.

My sense it that from Admiralty by cab to QMH it would take 20 minutes. From Admiralty to Kwung Tong by cab, I'm pretty sure it would take 40 minutes (tell the cabbie to the take the Eastern tunnel). I'd rather be in the hospital I planned on being in, partly because admission would be easier and also if you deliver there, it's may be easier for hubby to visit, go home and get stuff if needed etc.

hazel128 likes this.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

In an emergency, go to whichever hospital is closest at the time. IF necessary then the hospital can transfer you (ie, if they want you to be in your catchment area, they can transfer you there. If you need to be in a larger hospital with more intensive support, they can transfer you there.)

If it is not a huge emergency (ie if 30 min difference won't make a huge deal) I would choose whichever one you would prefer to be in for whichever reason...

carang likes this.

Thanks everyone. Having thought about it more, if anything were to happen in the next 10 weeks or so then baby would end up in NICU at QM (I believe) so even though it'll be less convenient I would rather deliver him there rather than him being driven around in an ambulance after the birth.

Hoping the placenta will behave and this won't become an issue though!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Even though NICU at QMH would be "best" for the baby, honestly if you are in an emergency get yourself to the nearest hospital. In an emergency those extra 10 minutes could make a huge difference in the outcome - and if the baby is born at another hospital, they can do a medical transfer if necessary. I know it'd be "easier" for your to deliver in QMH but it's safest for the baby to be in a hospital ASAP, even if it's NOT QMH...

That's a fair point. Though actually I *think* from admiralty the nearest hospital with a maternity ward is QM. Its definitely that catchment area. Does anyone know if that's true?

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Canossa would actually be the closest, QMH would be the closest public hospital.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast