Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Will my baby get a HK passport?

Luckycrane is offline Registered User

Will my baby get a HK passport?

I'm Canadian and my husband has HK permanent residency (but was born in the UK and lives in the UK). We are giving birth to our son in Hong Kong in January 2013. Will our newborn be entitled to right of abode in HK? Will he have a HK passport?

Can anyone share their experience?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

The short answer is this - "nationality" here (and hence right of abode/right to have HK passport etc) is based on ethnicity. If either of you can prove that you have Chinese blood (even if the baby is only 1/4 or 1/8 Chinese, maybe even less), then they are eligible. If not, then they are not.

My kids are eligible since their Dad is ethnically Chinese. He was born in Hong Kong and has renounced his Chinese nationality so he has a permanent ID but the same kind as an expat would have. He is not eligible for HK passport, but our kids are because they were born with it and they haven't renounced it. I haven't gotten them a HK passport though because I don't see the point in them having a different passport to us at this stage.

carang and Luckycrane like this.

Thx nicolejoy. We do not intend to live in HK and will leave for UK soon after our son is born, does this affect his eligibility?

carang is offline Registered User

you didn't answer whether or not one of you is ethnically chinese.

place of residence doesn't usually affect a person's nationality. ie) i've got a canadian passport. i was born there, but have lived almost 1/2 my life in hk. i have a uk passport. i've never even visited there. i have it because my father was born there and i was eligible through descent. i do not have a hk passport, even though i've lived here for almost 18 years. i'm not ethnically chinese. for me to get a HKSAR passport, i would have to give up both my canadian & uk passports, naturalise as a chinese citizen and then apply. HOWEVER, my two kids have canadian passports through descent (they were born in hk). they do not have uk passports because i got mine through descent. if they had been born in the uk, then they would have had uk passports. they ARE eligible for hksar passports because their father is hk chinese.

Thnx Carang.
    We are both ethnically Chinese, but I don't hold a HK ID card just my husband and he was born in the UK. The main question is that if we go to HK and have my baby born in HK will he have Right of abode established on his Birth certificate? We live in the UK and intend to come back.

Can someone shed some light on this, very confused, we don't want to end up giving birth in HK and to notice our baby are not eligible for Right of Abode in HK.

Thanks

lesliefu is offline Registered User

That is tricky. I am ethnically Chinese, though born in Canada (thus hold a Canadian passport) and hold a hKID and have lived here for nearly 30yrs...whole family is Chinese and live here...I am NOT eligible for hK passport unless I give up my Canadian one. My kids all have canadian and HK passports because my husband is Chinese and born in hong kong.

carang is offline Registered User

Talk to immig. They will be the only ones who can tell you for sure.

Make sure you lay everything out including your ethnicity.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using GeoClicks Mobile

rani is offline Administrator

i think you will get it. a friend was at immigration a few months ago. her daughter was born here (she is Eurasian like her mother), and the grandmother is Singaporean Chinese. The immigration officer saw the child who is now 2 and told the mother to apply for her. She did and got the child an SAR passport.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast