Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

34 weeks and want to change hopsptial & OB, would like to hear some advice

lesliefu is offline Registered User

If you and your husband feel so strongly then I would strongly suggest you change to QM since the whole birthing process is already so stressful in itself no need extra hassle from anyone / anything else. How likely are you to get a spot though? I ask that out of pure curiosity ...no intention of sounding negative ...just no experience with public deliveries that's all...please don't get me wrong...

mummymoo is offline Registered User

I would agree with other posters, although Dr Mok has never been my doctor, other friends who have had her as their obs have not been pressured into a C-section unless they have elected to have it themselves. About half had a natural delivery and the other half wanted to have a c-section anyway.

In terms of the episiotomy issue, that is personal choice but perhaps she was just telling you in her experience that it might be warranted because of your ethnicity and based on her experience. At the end of the day, when things go wrong, your obs is the one going to be held accountable, not any well meaning friend, mid wife or internet information that you get. That is not to say that you should invalidate any of these resources but that you should weight the information appropriately.

In terms of the charges for a private room, well that is another issue. But did you realise they charge double for not just the doctor's fees but also any pads, gauzes, medication, anything you buy? It's a system problem and I don't think you should put this on your obs (or feel anatgonism towards them because of it).

elle and dressuphk like this.

liesliefu, whoever gave you that advice at Annerley SHOULD BE SHOT! I would be ropeable if that had happened to me and my baby, AND although I wouldn't be able to do anything in a legal sense that person would have had a big piece of my mind. Hope everything is okay now with you and the bubs.

dressuphk likes this.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    If you and your husband feel so strongly then I would strongly suggest you change to QM since the whole birthing process is already so stressful in itself no need extra hassle from anyone / anything else. How likely are you to get a spot though? I ask that out of pure curiosity ...no intention of sounding negative ...just no experience with public deliveries that's all...please don't get me wrong...
    If the mother has a HKID the public hospital in her catchment area has to make room, so no issue with 'getting a spot'.

However, OP, if you do go the public route you will not know who your doctor is before delivery, and depending on how busy the hospital is at the time there may be little accommodation for your birth plan. If they are less busy there will be more resources to accommodate your particular requests, but you won't know until you get there. My secretary recently delivered in the public system and her birth plan, which was in her file, was set aside entirely during the delivery, neither the OB nor midwives even looked at it as the maternity ward was very busy at the time. Not trying to scare, but you should be aware of how things might go.

I must also say that I am very surprised that Dr. Mok said "no" to natural tearing, not at all how she handled the issue when i discussed it with her (although i am not Asian, i am tiny). She simply gave me the facts, pros and cons of each approach, asked my preference. The squatting issue is actual hospital policy and she may have just been communicating that to you. As others have noted, only a couple hospitals in HK accommodate that position for delivery. Not saying its right, it is just how it goes here.
    dressuphk likes this.

rani is offline Administrator

I chose to have an episiotomy. To be honest, it wasn't a big deal. It took a few weeks to heal.

dressuphk likes this.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymoo View Post
    liesliefu, whoever gave you that advice at Annerley SHOULD BE SHOT! I would be ropeable if that had happened to me and my baby, AND although I wouldn't be able to do anything in a legal sense that person would have had a big piece of my mind. Hope everything is okay now with you and the bubs.
    Thanks mummy moo! All is fine now...she's got delays here and there, but thank god she is with us. On a side note...it tok me three full months to get my babies records from Matikda and I had to go all the way to the top cause they didn't want to release any of it, saying it was "in the system" still! Scary thinking about it inreptrospect...

dressuphk is offline Registered User

I have taken classes in Annerley but never told to refuse episiotomy though... the Annerley mid wife there did introduce some good methods to minimize tear or episiotomy.

WOW, didn't know labor position is restricted in most of HK hospitals, that's sad...

Thanks mummy moo! All is fine now...she's got delays here and there, but thank god she is with us.

Great to hear and god bless....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast