Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Moving to HK at 24 weeks - need help please

Camberwell is offline Registered User

Moving to HK at 24 weeks - need help please

Hi

I will be moving to HK from London when I am 24 weeks pregnant. I'll be living in Kowloon and really need help to understand the system in Hong Kong. A few questions that I have:

- How do you research and find a good doctor in Kowloon, any recommendations?
    - Any recommendations on hospitals to give birth in? I have searched this forum but threads seem to be quite old.
    - Any advice on being pregnant in HK?

This is my first baby so anxious anyway as I don't know what to expect, but have added stress about moving to a new country and not knowing the system. Any advice you have would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

elle is offline Registered User

First, you need to decide if you will be delivering through the public system or private system.

If public, you do nothing to chose your doctor, unless you want to go to a private doctor for your prenatal check ups - this private doctor will not be able to attend the delivery in a public hospital. If you use the public system exclusively, tou register at a hospital, turn up at your scheduled appointments and are seen by whoever is on duty then and for the delivery the doctor on duty delivers your baby. You have no choice of doctor at all. There are many threads on here discussing public hospital prenatal care and delivery and the ladies who have been through the public system are helpful in answering specific questions posted here.

If private, you need to start calling OB/GYNs now and figure out how to book a room in a private hospital for delivery. Most people in HK book their bed in the private system almost as soon as their pregnancy is confirmed and you unfortunately will very likely not get a bed in a private hospital if you leave beginning your search for a booking until 24 weeks. There are lists of private doctors on this site, which would be a good place to start for contacts. Most will be in Central, not Kowloon, but the commute us easy. You will need to get in touch with the clinics individually and ask them how to go about securing a bed for the delivery without actually being in HK - I understand the process is not easy (sorry). I think someone on these boards went through this process last year, but I can't seem to find the thread right now. Maybe someone else remembers?

Camberwell likes this.

elle is offline Registered User

EDITORS: I posted a second reply with a couple links which most pregnant moms I know have found very useful for Camberwell. Why have you deleted them?? It is very rude given that I took the time to draft a helpful reply and supply information for her. Are you editing content now simply because it doesn't refer to your site or was the reply in some other way "offensive" - please do enlighten.

shri is offline Administrator

Will have someone message you shortly.

rani is offline Administrator

Congratulations!!!

Have a read through this article which should answer most of your questions

http://www.geobaby.com/articles/12-p...y-in-hong-kong

Here's a list of Drs
    http://www.geobaby.com/directory/hea.../gynecologists

2 drs in Kowloon who have been recommended are:

Ares Leung and Belinda Leung.

Camberwell likes this.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Camberwell is offline Registered User

Thank you Elle and Rani, really appreciate the advice and the links to further information, I will start on these asap. My husband is already in HK working so hopefully he can get the ball rolling without me there (?).

Thanks again, all very exciting and scary at the same time ;)

seejune is offline Registered User

Are you already 24 weeks pregnant now? If you want to deliver in private system, you need to see your Obstetrician before 20 weeks (hopefully before 16 weeks), then your obstetrician will make a booking for you. Most private hospital do not accept booking after 20 weeks of pregnancy - which means you can either go to the public system or give birth in your home country. Good luck!

seejune is offline Registered User

Also if in Kowloon, most Obstetricians are located in either MONGKOK or TSIM SHA TSUI. You can search the Geobaby directory with a list of gynae doctors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast