Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

ESF interview for "entry list" NOT a guaranteed place - chances of getting in?

Mimi2 is offline Registered User

ESF interview for "entry list" NOT a guaranteed place - chances of getting in?

Hi - we got our letter yesterday saying that we didn't get an interview for a guaranteed Year 1 place, but we did get an interview for the Y1 entry list. We have just recently moved here so I am not very familiar with the school systems yet. If my child passes the interview, what are the chances of getting in before September?

Thanks for you help!

peainpod is offline Registered User

It sounds like you got an interview for a non-guaranteed spot.

Interview letters for confirmed spots should say that they will inform you of the result by mid Feb and if your child is successful, you have until Feb 22 (for this year) to accept it and pay the deposit.

What date is your interview and what's your school catchment? Given that you are among the first batch of letters, depending on the school, chances could be good.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi2 View Post
    Hi - we got our letter yesterday saying that we didn't get an interview for a guaranteed Year 1 place, but we did get an interview for the Y1 entry list. We have just recently moved here so I am not very familiar with the school systems yet. If my child passes the interview, what are the chances of getting in before September?

Thanks for you help!
    You have an interview for non-guaranteed spot, which is really good. The school will invite the number of kids they can place (e.g. 60 or 120) and give them a guaranteed place if they pass. And then they'll invite an additional 10-20 kids (usually around 15%) in case kids fail, move, choose other schools. This is the group you're in. I know 2 people who had non-guaranteed interviews (and passed) and both had spots by end of February, so I think your chance of having a spot by September is 90%. They know from experience how many they can invite extra in order to fill the available spots.

Which school are you looking at? Considering they had close to 2500 applications for a little over 1000 spots seems like you're one of the lucky ones since I assume you didn't have priority.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

Agree with MommyTo3; we were in this position 2 years ago, our daughter passed and we got offered a spot by end of Feb. That was for Bradbury, basically once the Discovery College/DBIS offers went out then the kids from DB who got one take those and spots at Bradbury normally free up. Also we didn't take up our spot as we had already accepted one elsewhere (yes we were very lucky) so that would've been another one to pass along to the next person on the list... So you should be fine.

Mimi2 is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone - our interview is at Bradbury at the end of January so fingers crossed!