Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Gold Coast Australia holiday - best kids activities

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Gold Coast Australia holiday - best kids activities

Hi

We are planning a week on the Gold Coast/Surfers Paradise in late May. Which are the best activities for a 5 year old and 3 year old there (also given slightly lower temps - high of around 21/22 degrees C)? I know there are a lot of theme parks (Dreamworld, Movieworld, Seaworld), a water park and wildlife parks (Currimbin) but which of these or others would be best for this age?

Thanks in advance
    SB2

Flack is offline Registered User

We took our two and a half yr old to Dreamworld and found there was not a lot there for that age group. We spent most of the day in the pools, so if it's not swimming weather you might struggle to find suitable activities to fill the day. There was a tea cup type ride, a water log ride and a Wiggles ride that was appropriate and also seeing the animals - tiger, koala and kangaroos that you could feed. (Also at A$80 per adult I don't think it was worth the money). Food was exorbitantly expensive and although the park rules stated that you couldn't take your own food with you, I saw many people with their own sandwiches etc, so it might be worth packing some snacks and seeing if you can get them in. I have since heard that SeaWorld is better for young kids, but we didn't go so I can't say for sure.
    We spent most of the time at the beach.

Last edited by Flack; 01-02-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Lali07 is offline Registered User

Hi Starbucks, the main attractions on the Gold Coast are the theme parks and the surf. Aside from that, it's not the nicest area. I would agree Dreamworld and also Movieworld are for older kids. Seaworld is better for younger kids, although really only because of the animals. Currumbin is a waste of time and money, there's really nothing there. Apologies for the negativity, you might end up loving the Gold Coast but I think there are far nicer options for families in southeast-Queensland. Assuming you are flying into Brisbane you might like to consider the Sunshine Coast, which is about 1-1.5 hours drive north (the Gold Coast is a similar distance to the south) and a really pretty area. Australia Zoo is great, the beaches are nice and a lot calmer so better for young swimmers. There are also lots of other things like Underwater World, petting farms, tours of the local dairy where kids can pat baby cows and goats, cute little villages (Montville, Maleny) etc. Have a look at Mooloolaba, Alexandra Headland, Noosa, which have the nicest beaches and a lot of family-style accommodation..

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Thanks both.

Lali - we are meeting family there and staying in Main Beach so further up the coast not an option but appreciate your comments nonetheless.