Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Any problems up to the 12 week hospital app where to go?

Dillon is offline Registered User

Any problems up to the 12 week hospital app where to go?

Hi everyone,

I've been having quite a lot of belly aches and I was wondering if you had a problem who do you go to if you need to see a doc before the 12 week public hospital appointment?

I'm sure the pains are just the non serious kind but every time I read a website it's tells me it could be a bad sign. I get the impression the hospital won't let you in before your first scheduled appointment....

Aquarian is offline Registered User

You should go to an ob-gyn. I imagine there are public ones but it's probably faster to go private.

edit: actually you shouldn't rely on the hospital appointments for these sorts of issues, most times you just see a nurse who will do standard checks (bp, doppler etc), it's rare you actually see
    a doctor.

Last edited by Aquarian; 03-06-2013 at 02:31 AM.

Siesta is offline Registered User

Aquarian, a doctor is always available at the time of the appointments. One just needs to tell the nurse/ midwife that they want to talk to/ see a doc. I have done that a couple of time, it's never been a problem.
    I didn't need to see anyone before my first appointment but what I would have done is rang the hospital/ clinic where you have your first appointment and ask what they suggest you do.
    Hope they are just random normal pains. (The Internet always gives bad news)
    Good luck :)) where you

carang likes this.

charade is offline Registered User

I think the public hospital's ob/gyn outpatient clinic policy is that you go to the emergency room of the public hospital if you need urgent care in between. Or see a private doctor - I think there was actually a notice up on this in United Christian. However, you could still call the clinic and try.

I have had an appointment advanced by calling the clinic but that's because I told them that my private doc had already discovered the baby was breech and since it was close to the due date, they too would need to discuss and finalise options with me. Must mention that the telephone number suddenly went off into Chinese-only; I had to rope in a colleague to select the options for me before I could leave a message. They then called me back - not sure if it was the same day or the next day.

carang likes this.

Aquarian is offline Registered User

Personlly I never had any success calling the hospital, I was always put through to a recording (in chinese) with no option to leave
    a message.

I did go down there once with cramping at 24 weeks (my ob was in surgery and couldn't be reached) but was told to go to a&e like charade said.

Dillon is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone for your help. I don't think it's worth a trip to A&E. I couldn't imagine wasting their time if it was nothing. I guess the next option is private but I was a little apprehensive about getting sucked in to lots of expensive tests, scans etc as my health care doesn't cover maternity.

If I see any blood spotting then I'll get myself in, but I think for the odd aches I should be patient for now. Maybe avoid all the negative articles about pregnancy online!

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Hi Dillon, I had a lot of strange tweaks, sensations and little cramps in the first few months in both of my pregnancies. Not everyone gets them I don't think (from talking to others), or not to the same extent anyway. For me it was all fine and normal - the uterus stretching and other important things going on - so it isn't necessarily a bad sign.

carang is offline Registered User

they would not see it as a waste of their time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast