Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Looking for full-time helper - experience with newborns

elw
    elw is offline Registered User

Looking for full-time helper - experience with newborns

I'm expecting a baby in July and we are looking for a good helper starting anytime, preferably in May.

It's our first helper and we haven't found anyone we like through agencies.

Must have experience with newborns and love children. Cleaning and basic cooking also needed. Prefer them to have local HK experience.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

rani is offline Administrator

We found our helper GeoExpat.Com. There are loads of helpers on the Classifieds:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/classif...cat.php/cat/16

Here are some tips:

Would recommend making a list of what you're looking for in a helper: cooking skills, experience with babies/toddler or older kids, good cleaner, good communicator, good references (do call up previous employers).

As you scan through the ads, the ones that you like "Add them to your Watch List" so you can shortlist the candidates. Then text each one to ask them to call you for a phone interview.

Have some simple questions prepared for the phone interview. If you have trouble understanding her or she you, move on to the next person. As a working Mum I have to give a lot of instructions over the phone, and we need to be able to communicate.

If she answers the simple questions well, move on to some more complex questions. If she enjoys cooking, ask what her best dish is. Or if she takes care of the kids, what games she plays. If the phone interview goes well, ask her to meet you for a face-to-face interview.

Most helpers are free on Sunday or Sat and will come to your home. Line up a few interviews on Sunday. If you have kids, make sure they're around and see how they interact with each other.

Also you can check the helper's passport to see who her previous employers are. Just to verify her work experience and the number of yrs she's been in HK.

Do call previous employers for a reference. If they have worked for Chinese families, who can't speak English ask a friend or colleague to call for you.

Also have a read through this thread on GeoBaby.

http://www.geobaby.com/articles/1-pr...iring-a-helper

The good helpers get snapped up fairly quickly. I would also recommend posting your own Helper Want ad on GeoExpat.Com. I found that helpers who called me directly were to shy to place their own ad.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002