Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

I've registered for Public NOW WHAT?

justarlene is offline Registered User

Hi Faithools,

I agreed you don't really need a blood test. But I totally agree that public hospital should have taken care every pregnancy case by case basis. I had an ectopic before. Thus, my doctors Hong Kong and Singapore recommended me to get checked as early as possible once I tested positive. I explained this to Tsan Yuk hospital and Tang Chi Ngong MCHC. They didn't really care and still put me for my first scanning on 11th week.
    Nevertheless, I did not want to depend on luck. If it had been another ectopic, by 11th week I would already have had died in the process. Thus, I went to Dr. Ghosh for checkup. It only cost 900HKD. In fact, I am now switching to Dr. Ma Ching Yee whose cost is more affordable to us. She is charging HKD600-700 inclusive of ultrasound. So, I'm unsure if it will cost 2K like anywhere else.
    Anyway, congratz!!! Hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy

Dillon is offline Registered User

I was charged 2200 for an appointment with scan with Dr Stephenson in central, I was charged 2400 for scan and Oscar blood test with Dr Patrick Chan also in central and I was quoted 3000 for a scan with a doctor in Sheung Wan, all of these are listed on this site so it's easy to pay over 2k. Of course you can easy shop around and call all the doctors and they'll tell you the prices over the phone.

gatochat is offline Registered User

I went through the same thing as you did when I was pregnant with my 1st. I was in the UK and there they don't offer you a scan till 12 weeks. And to make things worse, when I went to the GP after testing myself positive with a shop bought test kit, she just said she'll refer me to the hospital and that was it! She didn't even bother to test me again! So I waited till 8 weeks and had my 1st appointment at at the hospital and again, it was just another questions and answers appointment! It was till I was 12 weeks pregnant that I actually had some confirmation from the professional that I'm actually pregnant! But trust me, it was worth the wait!!!!!!! and I was told you don't see much at 6 weeks pregnant anyways.

charade is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    I was charged 2200 for an appointment with scan with Dr Stephenson in central, I was charged 2400 for scan and Oscar blood test with Dr Patrick Chan also in central and I was quoted 3000 for a scan with a doctor in Sheung Wan, all of these are listed on this site so it's easy to pay over 2k. Of course you can easy shop around and call all the doctors and they'll tell you the prices over the phone.
    HKD3000 or thereabouts for an OSCAR test seems to be the going rate. But for a regular scan and check-up at an ob/gyn there are still docs who would charge 1000hkd. I used Eric Lee in Prince's Building Central in 2010-2011. And a doctors at the Union Polyclinic in Tseung Kwan O charged me 700hkd for scan and check-up. Both docs were great. Their fees may have gone up but I doubt they have doubled. I'm saying this so that people doing the private-public combination are not deterred by 2000$ at every visit. There are cheaper options, and the docs I've seen were all great.

miran is offline Registered User

Yes; our doctor charges HKD 800 for scan+visit as well. And this includes monthly dosage of Metarna. HKD 2000+ is mostly by doctors with more expat clientele. "Normal" rates are much lower. This is not to say any doctor is better than the other - just that there are plenty of options.

bellamojo is offline Registered User

Hi Faithools,

You literally posted this on the day I went to the public hospital to register and had a complete breakdown over the whole situation. No one was friendly, no one was informative, and no one spoke English. Nothing like crying as you leave the cramped registration area to have people staring...
    Anyway, your questions were the same as mine, same moment, and the answers have been so reassuring.
    I took the advice others said, and booked an appt. at my clinic in Tai Wai. To see the obstetrician is $600, and then $300 for an ultrasound. The earliest appointment I could get was for next week. But public hospitals / private clinics seem to be the way to go.
    Thanks for asking / sharing info everyone!!

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by bellamojo View Post
    Hi Faithools,

You literally posted this on the day I went to the public hospital to register and had a complete breakdown over the whole situation. No one was friendly, no one was informative, and no one spoke English. Nothing like crying as you leave the cramped registration area to have people staring...
    Anyway, your questions were the same as mine, same moment, and the answers have been so reassuring.
    I took the advice others said, and booked an appt. at my clinic in Tai Wai. To see the obstetrician is $600, and then $300 for an ultrasound. The earliest appointment I could get was for next week. But public hospitals / private clinics seem to be the way to go.
    Thanks for asking / sharing info everyone!!
    Which hospital did you go to?

bellamojo is offline Registered User

Hi there,
    I went to Prince of Wales in Sha Tin as it's the one in my area. I've heard many positive things on this site since, but it was shell shocking for me at the time! Literally broke down in sobs....I couldn't believe the only thing asked of me was by a receptionist who kept asking me my ID number and if I was "sure" about my due date!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast