Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Deliver Private - Baby checkup at MCHC

charade is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by justarlene View Post
    How do I register newborn at MCHC?
    I'm still going parallel route. Check up at MCHC but have booked St Paul hospital for delivery.
    To register a newborn, you need to call the MCH near where you live. Can't help with the number as I got that on a slip from the hospital I delivered at.

I was told to call the day I was discharged from hospital. They generally give you an appointment for around Day 5, (after delivery) and I realised the reason they do that is that neonatal jaundice tends to peak then. For my second child, I actually tried to ask if I could come a couple of days later and they said no, and I'm glad I went in as my baby had to go back into hospital for jaundice treatment.

So I think you can call right after you deliver and book. You don't need birth cert, obviously you won't have one, but have to give that later when you get it. You can take your ID and your husbands as well as the delivery documents of your baby and proof of address. They'll tell you what to bring over the phone I think. You don't have to be a permanent resident, but you have to be an "eligeable person" (a non-permanent resident HKID is valid - that's what I used. If you're currently registered in an MCH you are eligeable I believe).

If I've got you correctly, you want to go to the MCH for check-ups during your pregnancy and deliver privately. That's fine. You are not obliged to tell them that. They anticipate a hospital bed for you anyway around your time of delivery. Closer to your delivery date, if you are absolutely sure you are going private, you can inform the MCH if you wish. You are not obliged to though.

Some unsolicited advice - if you're planning on delivering public, one of the big advantages is knowing the doc who will be at the delivery beforehand. So maybe do a few appointments with him/her just so that you know you're comfortable with the doc.
    rani likes this.

justarlene is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by charade View Post
    To register a newborn, you need to call the MCH near where you live. Can't help with the number as I got that on a slip from the hospital I delivered at.

I was told to call the day I was discharged from hospital. They generally give you an appointment for around Day 5, (after delivery) and I realised the reason they do that is that neonatal jaundice tends to peak then. For my second child, I actually tried to ask if I could come a couple of days later and they said no, and I'm glad I went in as my baby had to go back into hospital for jaundice treatment.

So I think you can call right after you deliver and book. You don't need birth cert, obviously you won't have one, but have to give that later when you get it. You can take your ID and your husbands as well as the delivery documents of your baby and proof of address. They'll tell you what to bring over the phone I think. You don't have to be a permanent resident, but you have to be an "eligeable person" (a non-permanent resident HKID is valid - that's what I used. If you're currently registered in an MCH you are eligeable I believe).

If I've got you correctly, you want to go to the MCH for check-ups during your pregnancy and deliver privately. That's fine. You are not obliged to tell them that. They anticipate a hospital bed for you anyway around your time of delivery. Closer to your delivery date, if you are absolutely sure you are going private, you can inform the MCH if you wish. You are not obliged to though.

Some unsolicited advice - if you're planning on delivering public, one of the big advantages is knowing the doc who will be at the delivery beforehand. So maybe do a few appointments with him/her just so that you know you're comfortable with the doc.
    What a relief.... I don't need to wait for 5 days... Yes... What I'm worried is the neonatal jaundice.....Thanks for the information ladies!!!
    rani likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12