Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

In-patient experience for baby in public system - how much time do you get to visit?

gzdad is offline Registered User

In-patient experience for baby in public system - how much time do you get to visit?

Hello all. First post here. We're usually in China - in HK for the baby!

So, he's about 20 days old and has been diagnosed with a bad infection that needs heavy antibiotics. We're in the private system (Matilda) and thinking of moving to a public hospital (probably Queen Mary) because of the better care if things go wrong etc.

But we're rather scared by the stated visiting hours - just 4 hours a day. It kind of breaks our heart to think we won't be with him for 20 hours eveyr day for the next two weeks. It's almost as long as he's already been alive!

So, does anyone have any experience of actual contact time with very young in-patient babies in the public system? Ideally we'd like to stay breast feeding him as much as possible. Or is it just fire-and-forget, you turn your baby over to the (well run, efficient, effective, but...) machine?

We're staying in a hotel, so happy to move to other areas if the local large hospital will be better. Though QM does seem pretty good!

Thanks for any help,

d.

carang is offline Registered User

in the pediatrics, one person can stay the entire time. my son broke his foot last year and was admitted over night in pediatrics (Tseung Kwan O Hospital). I was allowed to stay with him the entire time. they had a narrow "chair" that opened out to be flat so that i could try to sleep. but you need your own blanket and pillow... not sure the set up at QMH, though, but sure it would likely be similar.

gzdad is offline Registered User

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    in the pediatrics, one person can stay the entire time. my son broke his foot last year and was admitted over night in pediatrics (Tseung Kwan O Hospital). I was allowed to stay with him the entire time. they had a narrow "chair" that opened out to be flat so that i could try to sleep. but you need your own blanket and pillow... not sure the set up at QMH, though, but sure it would likely be similar.
    Thanks! Was that more than the advertised visiting hours? I just can't believe it's good for baby to have onky four hours contact with their parents. Also, of course, hard to keep up with the breast milk and feeding!

Any others with experience?

Queen Mary Hospital

on this page it says that it must be "arranged" with the ward.... if i were you, i would call them to clarify their visiting hours. tell them you are considering moving your child from Matilda and that you want to clarify....

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Cara told me about this thread and I wanted to come and post. My daughter was in NICU at QMH for 4 months. Since then, she has spent a day in PICU after a surgery.

In both NICU/Special care (same ward), the last I knew, visiting hours are 3-8pm. It is the same for PICU as far as I know. Visitors are restricted to parents only. Breastfeeding mothers are allowed at any time, but only for breastfeeding - and only if it does not interfere with doctors rounds etc...

NICU is hard going - particularly if it is for long term. For a few weeks, it is manageable. It even has some benefits - by being forced to be home, I found that I rested more and recovered faster than if I was looking after a newborn 24 hrs a day myself. QMH is probably the best hospital in HK for those kinds of situations - the NICU there has fantastic results. They are possibly overly cautious in some cases, but if it is a common situation, they are more used to dealing with it.

My opinion: IF you have the option, it is easier to stay in a private hospital. If there ARE complications, they will transfer your baby to the public hospital. You will be more comfortable there and probably less stressed. IF you want to take the "safer" road medically, QMH is the place to be but be prepared that it will not be emotionally easy for you...

If you want to chat more, please send me a private message.

All the best!!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

...sorry, wanted to add more... IF you manage to get transferred to the pediatric ward as opposed to NICU, you will find conditions different - not necessarily better or worse. Because the nursing ratio is far lower, a parent will almost be required to stay with the baby and care for it at all times, doing most of the feeding, nappy changes etc... You will not be provided with a bed to sleep on though and will have to spend the night on the plastic chair or bring some bedding and sleep on the floor. I don't have experience with the pediatric ward - but this has been my experience with the pediatric surgery ward... I believe it is similar... So it is stressful in a different way.

When my daughter had bronchiolitis recently, she needed to be hospitalised. We chose to take her to a private hospital because I felt we could be more rested and better equipped to deal with it in that environment, knowing that if there WERE complications, we would be transferred. I don't regret my decision - it was so much easier in the private hospital - and our insurance paid for most of it as well.

So basically: private is more comfortable/emotionally easier. Public is better medically but be prepared because it is rough on you!!

so, i guess the difference is between the NICU/special care and regular pediatrics.... if you child is in just pediatrics, then you can stay, but if in NICU then not.

thanks, nicole!

good to know that different hospitals, even though all public, have different facilities. when my boy was in pediatrics, there was a very narrow chair that folded out to be a bed. i "slept" on it.... not very comfortable, but certainly better than a plastic chair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast