Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving to HK and feel unsettled about starting kindy...help?

luluboy is offline Registered User

Moving to HK and feel unsettled about starting kindy...help?

We currently live in Sydney and Miss 2 goes to Daycare (Junior kindy as we call it in our house) twice a week for about 8 hours - beginning at 8.30am. This is totally normal for us and I'm really concerned about the change when we move to Hong Kong.

I'd love to hear (a) if I'm right in thinking I either take her to playgroup for about an hour, one time per week or alternatively we go to Kindy 5 days a weeks for 2 hours each day and (b) how other peoples' kids have adjusted to this? It feels like a lot of rushing around for a couple of hours and 5 mornings per week sounds very exhausting. If she doesn't go to Kindy, how can I stimulate her for so many hours in the day...what do other mums do?

Thanks,

rani is offline Administrator

Is Miss 2, 2 years old? Sorry wasn't sure.

You can put her in a playgroup 3 x week for a couple of hours week. Mums usually have the mornings free and then pick up their little ones at around 12. They have lunch at home, nap, and then go out again for playdates or classes. There are a lot of activities for your litte Miss from art, gym, swim etc. The list is endless. I enrolled my little guy in a couple of classes and the rest of the time we would just catch up with friends. He started Kindy 5 mornings/ week at 3.

Also if you find a playgroup close to home, there shouldn't be that much running around.

Here's a list of classes at YWCA for kids
    https://www.esmdywca.org.hk/Courses/...ory&id=1000002

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Flack is offline Registered User

Most kindys will start the year they turn 3. I don't know of any that only go for 2 hours (there may well be some though).
    My daughter goes for 3 hours and by the time the bus picks her up and drops her off she is gone the entire morning. (7:45-12)
    Most of her friends in other kindys go for longer hours, either 9-2 or 9-4:30 depending on the school. It is 5 days a week.
    If you know where you are going to be living you can check out the schools close by.
    We then do afternoon activities a couple of afternoons a week and the others are free for playdates, the park, or just things at home.

Portia is offline Registered User

Some pre schools also have nursery for 2 year olds. At my LO's pre school, you could attend for 2,3 or 5 days per week for 3 hours each time.

carang is offline Registered User

Some kindies will offer full day. This is what we have done. We drop her off between 8-8:45 & then pick her up between 4-5:30. It has been great for us and she loves it.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using GeoClicks Mobile

luluboy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Most kindys will start the year they turn 3. I don't know of any that only go for 2 hours (there may well be some though).
    My daughter goes for 3 hours and by the time the bus picks her up and drops her off she is gone the entire morning. (7:45-12)
    Most of her friends in other kindys go for longer hours, either 9-2 or 9-4:30 depending on the school. It is 5 days a week.
    If you know where you are going to be living you can check out the schools close by.
    We then do afternoon activities a couple of afternoons a week and the others are free for playdates, the park, or just things at home.
    How do you feel about putting your 3yr old on a bus (you did mean alone)? Are there baby seats with belts/supervisors??? Thanks

Flack is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by luluboy View Post
    How do you feel about putting your 3yr old on a bus (you did mean alone)? Are there baby seats with belts/supervisors??? Thanks

It is a dedicated bus for the kindy and so there are only kindy kids on there. They have the same driver every day and 2 "bus mothers" to help them. ( employed by the bus company)
    They all wear seatbelts.
    Personally, I feel it is a safer option than a taxi.
    Depending where you choose to live you might be able to find a kindy within walking distance.

OldtimerMum is offline Registered User

Seems like ages ago but our son used to take the bus to Kindy and back and adapted to it quite well.

Friendly bus mothers and there were was a required seatbelt for every kid.