Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lesliefu

To save cord blood or not?

louisss is offline Registered User

To save cord blood or not?

I have been struggling with the decision to save cord blood or not.. Any advise? THX

Stem-cell hope for spinal patients as big test nears - The Standard

lesliefu is offline Registered User

my doctor thinks its highly unlikely we will need it, and by the time we might really "need" it - god forbid, technology would have improved so much there would be other ways to save the child...we have bought it for 2 / 3 kids...1st we did it cause everyone else did - 2nd we did it because it was just fair and 3 we didn't because he came early and we were still procrastinating after what the doctor said...at the end, the message was no..fate perhaps?

carang likes this.

Gracey is offline Registered User

I'm divided on this issue.
    The best thing would be if everyone put their cord blood into a public bank. The changes that one child would need cord blood are miniscule, especially as medical technology is just developing in this field.
    But the chancs that some child out of 7 million people would need cord blood are much bigger. And if everyone donated, there should be enough for all ill children, including your own, in case of that rare, unfortunate occurance.
    With my first child, I tried to donate to the Red Cross, but it's very limited here. They only extra from specific public hospitals at specific times.
    I then called some of the blood-banking companies to ask if I could pay for the extraction and transfer, but have it sent to the Red Cross. As soon as the salespeople heard I wouldn't be paying for, like, 20 years of rental, they hung up on me. This left a bad taste in my mouth that - really - they don't care about sick kids, just your long-term business.

That said, now expecting my second child, I do wonder if I would regret it if one of my children unfortunately become that rare child who could use cord blood someday -- and I didn't store it now.

carang is offline Registered User

personally, i think we have a lot better things for us to spend our money on... to me, it is something that preys on every new mother's biggest fears and charges tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege.