Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why do bassinets have bumpers/padding?

Aquarian is offline Registered User

I think there are 2 issues with bumpers

1) baby can get their face wedged in it and suffocate- with a very young baby they can't move around much so if you put them down in the middle of thr bassinet they'll stay there

2) it limits the flow of air around the baby - but why that shouldnt be a problem with a bassinet I have no idea, maybe because its not so deep?

TrailingWife is offline Registered User

I have the Stokke Sleepi and never used a bumper with it, even when I had it as the mini. The bumper is an extra that you can buy if you want. My baby sometimes got her legs between the posts but never hurt herself.

Bumpers can be used to climb out by older babies, or they restrict airflow and can cause baby to overheat.

Aquarian is offline Registered User

We had a bassinet to start and I put 2 mattresses in it so my babys nose was actually level with the top of sides, that way I could feel reasonably ok about airflow.

Not sure what happened to my reply, so here goes again. There is a small gap around the mattress, but it shouldn't be any more than 3cm according to Stokke (otherwise a baby's arm or leg might get stuck). We bought ours in the UK and used the foam mattress until our baby was around 4-5 months old and we had extended to cot size. Then we bought a firmer organic mattress designed to fit the Sleepi from another company. I think the foam mattress is ok, but once your baby is a bit bigger and more mobile then you might want something more substantial.

We also have a travel cot with bassinet attachment (and a changer attachment) that we bought in the UK. This has mesh sides and I used it downstairs in our house instead of a moses basket. We also flew it out as baggage when we moved over a month or so ago, and our baby slept in it until her Sleepi came by airfreight!

Our mattress was from The Little Green Sheep in the UK. I think it is wool and coir. I don't know whether they ship internationally. If they do, they also do mattress protectors and sheets to fit stokke (as well as other brands), which you might be interested in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast