Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

how much do you pay your living in helper for evening babysitting?

smiling face1 is offline Registered User

how much do you pay your living in helper for evening babysitting?

Hi ladies, my husband had to go on the business trip and I had my evening lesson. I came home at 22.30 and I was wondering if I should financially compensate my helper for long hours. She normally has afternoon break and finishes at around 8pm or little bit earlier.

My friend told me they give their helper 200-300 hkd for evening babysitting. If I had to add this amount to the cost of the dinner I would rather prefer to stay at home lol. Thanks for your comments.

rani is offline Administrator

You'll find that most families do not pay their helper extra for evening babysitting. Once the kids go to bed around 730-8pm there isn't much they need to do. Just keep the baby monitor close in case the child wakes up.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using GeoClicks mobile app

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

matemate is offline Registered User

i think you should have a serious word with your friend: they must be the only family in hong kong paying for evening baby sitting...

carang is offline Registered User

absolutely not necessary. it is part of her job. however, if she is staying up until you come home and she is usually up early in the morning, i might tell her to start a little later the next day. but 10:30 isn't that late and it also isn't necessary for her to remain awake, she can put on a baby monitor and then get up if the baby wakes.

thank you ladies for all the replies. I actually told her she could wake up later on the next day but she said it was ok. I just needed to know if that was a situation where I should give some extra and if yes, than how much would be appropriate. sometimes we go for the dinner but we always come back before 10pm..

mummymoo is offline Registered User

My friend told me they give their helper 200-300 hkd for evening babysitting.

Did you ask your friend if this is because her helper is live out? one of my friends pays her live out helper $300 per evening.

I usually give my live in helpers $100 (that is because we have a child that needs to be toileted at 10.30pm as we are night time toilet training her). Otherwise we wouldn't pay her.

yes their helper lives out.

you might need to cover the transportation fee ..but otherwise, what is the difference? I just wanted to figure out what might be our helper´s expectations.

mummymoo is offline Registered User

Huge difference. If the helper lives out and needs to go home at say 11pm, then it's an imposition on her time.

If she lives in, and the children are asleep by say 8pm then she can just be in her room reading or resting (which is what she would normally do anyway), and so that doesn't really require any extra work unless the children wake up or need to be toileted.

smiling face1 and carang like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast