Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Work in Australia but want to give birth in Hong Kong?

Aquarian is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_li View Post
    Yes you do need to register with a hospital first.
    No- she can go to any a&e without registering, but it is far from ideal and the drs won't be happy.

It took us 10 working days to get baby's Australian proof of citizenship and another 10 working days for the passport.
    Was this after you'd waited to get the hk birth cert?

snowflake is offline Registered User

Thanks for the info guys!

We're still looking into it, to give birth in Australia or in Hong Kong.

I do have a bank account and address in Hong Kong still, but will see how it all goes when I go back in January 2014 (just after first trimester) :)

@sa_li - did you do the same thing too? Give birth in HK to give your child another form of ID? How did the registration process work from birth of child to getting the Australian passport and how long did you have to wait before going back to Australia?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

A few things:

1. you don't HAVE to register, but should do so, so that the hospital has you in their system. This will mean that when you are in labour, you can go directly to the labour ward rather than going through A&E. You probably need to be in HK in order to register. First book the first appointment over the phone, and then you will be given a registration appointment as well. Must go in person, can be anywhere from about 12 weeks until later (I did it at 28 weeks this time around but they weren't too happy about that). Explain to them at that appointment that you will be out of HK until 35 weeks but you will make sure you keep a file for them of your test results etc and you can give to them at your 36 week appointment. They probably won't be happy but what will they do?

2. There are benefits for the baby being born here - if they are born in HK, it is much easier for them to get two passports than if they are born in Australia. My hubby is Australian Chinese and this was one main reason for us wanting to give birth here. If they are born in Australia, they technically should renounce Australian citizenship if they want to get Chinese citizenship.

3. You PROBABLY can travel back if all goes smoothly around 6 weeks after the birth. Some would say 4 weeks even. Just be super organised and ask them to expedite everything. This is if you are getting Australian passport here in HK. Not sure about the procedure for getting HK passport first and then doing the Aussie citizenship and passport after you are back in Oz.

4. Please note that the public hospitals are based on catchment areas, so you will need to go to the hospital of your catchment, not any of your choosing.

5. I am certain you are eligible to use the public system - I have a Chinese friend who was here visiting family at 24 weeks or so and her waters broke. She was in QMH for 4 weeks on bedrest before the baby was born at about 28 weeks. He was in NICU for about 3 months. Her entire stay as well as the baby's was covered under the public health system. She was a US resident at the time.

6. just make sure you have a good support network - can family from Australia also come to help out? It is such a tumultuous time - both wonderful, but so many emotions... you need to look after yourself too!!

mummymoo is offline Registered User

Snowflake, I have a friend in Australia who gave birth here for the same reasons but the difference is that she had her mum and dad here and they had domestic helpers and a home. I would agree with others the first few weeks are very hard without any help especially if you plan on being efficient and getting about town to do all the paperwork for your child

She gave birth through the private system. She stayed 7 weeks after the birth and in that time she was able to register for the baby's birth certificate in HK. Without this you won't be able to do anything. The birth certificate does not come very quickly, the doctors have to fill in something and have this registered with the births/death/marriages section. It takes a few days, don't expect you will be able to sort it out the day after you give birth, for me it took about a week but I gave birth in the private. My other child born in Australia, I got the birth certificate before I left the hospital.

After the birth certificate you need to apply for the HK passport and HKID, that way you can really honestly say they have no other citizenship when you apply (you don't have to wait until issue of the passport or HKID before applying for the Aussie stuff just need to put it in first). Thereafter my friend went to get citizenship by descent for her son and after that was eligible for a passport. If i remember correctly she couldn't get an expedited one as it was a first passport. 10 working days x2 sounds about right.

Her husband almost missed the birth of her son as he was still in Australia when her waters broke early (37 weeks) but she ended having a c-section as her labour was not progressing. Like others I wanted to have my husband with me but that was not an issue as my first was in Australia. You may have to give this some thought.

Also in the public they will not induce you because your baby needs to be born by a certain time (i.e. husband's leave). so another thing to think about. Also they will not offer an elective C-section if it is not indicated. So you really need to think about whether you want husband there (as he sounds like he doesn't have too much leave up his sleeve) and if not then go for it.

Good luck and god bless!

sa_li is offline Registered User

Yup, after getting HK birth cert

sa_li is offline Registered User

@snowflake: I can't remember how many days you need to wait before you can get the birth cert. Reason being, the public hospital needs to send your baby's birth details to the registry before you can go get the cert. But I got my baby's birth cert, HK passport, HKID within a month of birth.

Like mummymoo said, you can apply for the Australian citizenship right after you get the birth cert, and it took 10 working days, and then another 10 working days for the passport (granted you submit the application right away).

Bear in mind you'll need photos for the HK passport, Australian citizenship + passport applications.
    Also, you'll need a guarantor to sign for the baby's identity for the Australian citizenship + passport.

Aquarian is offline Registered User

Public system says wait 14 days after the birth before going to the registry office to get the birth cert.

Ollie_Roast is offline Registered User

Hi~

My friend did the same and gave birth in HK for the HKID but she came to HK at the end of 2nd trimester when it was still safe to fly (remember to make sure your Dr. in Oz gives you the ok!). As long as you have an HKID you can use the public system (but actually even if you are a visitor you can use it too but with a fee) but they probably won't be too happy if you suddenly rock up ready to give birth! If your address is Yuen Long, you will probably be sent to Prince of Wales Hospital? It's one of the principal hospitals and a teaching hospital in the area. My friend's husband came at 36 weeks and luckily she gave birth at 37 weeks, and he managed to take a month's leave so that all worked out well.

You will need to stay in HK for at least 1-2 months afterwards to wait firstly for the birth certificate, then to apply for the citizenship of descent from the Australian Embassy, and then after which you can apply for the passport. I remember it took around 1 month to get everything for my little one from the Australian Embassy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast