Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Husband allowed in labour room in POW?

pumi26 is offline Registered User

Husband allowed in labour room in POW?

I was informed before that my husband will not be allowed into the labour room at Prince of Wales.

Yesterday I met a lady who delivered at POW 5 years ago and she told me her husband was allowed to stay with her in the labour room. She said she had to sign a consent form when she was around 7-8 months pregnant to confirm she wants her husband with her in the labour room.

Is this correct? I really want my husband to be with me while I am in labour.

Thanks!

hoochie is offline Registered User

Hi I was just back from the PoW seeing a doctor and I too asked was husband allowed into delivery room as this is our first and we both want him to be there. She confirmed he is allowed in during active labour and if it's a vaginal delivery. However if any forceps or vacuum needed to be used, he'd be asked to leave the room. The same for a C section.
    During labour I'd be in a ward with other mothers, while he's not allowed to stay the whole time...he is allowed to wait outside in the hallway and allowed to pop in.
    Good luck!

bellamojo is offline Registered User

Are you serious? I had a consultation there last week to discuss the birth plan with a doctor (I'm 35 weeks today with my first) and she said he was absolutely NOT allowed in the labour ward with me at all. He would only be allowed in for the pushing part / delivery room, and would be asked to leave shortly after delivery.
    Seeing as neither H or I are Chinese, maybe it was a translation error? Needless to say I went hysterical on the lady and threatened to stay home and have the baby in my flat...the fear of a lawsuit flicked over her face...

But if it turns out I need to spend any lengthy amount of time in the 20-bed (!!!) room of the labour ward, if he is literally right outside it'd be bearable. Is this correct info, considering what I was told last week?

I was also told I wouldn't be able to draw the curtains around my bed for privacy.

I pretty much made that doctors' day as miserable as mine.

Someone soothe my nerves...? please?

Hmm that is odd. How terrible of her. I would have freaked myself as this is also our first and I am clueless as it is. I am just pass 32 weeks. We spoke English to the doctor and she spoke very good English herself so there was definitely no misunderstanding. She was actually very nice and happy to see my birth plan. I think her name was Chan?
    Perhaps your doc was having a bad day? Or perhaps she was just being overly strict? Most I have heard have said if you are persistent enough and it's not too busy on the day.... They relax the rules a bit. I can't imagine why you can't draw the curtains if you want some privacy! What are they for then??
    But if anyone has given birth there recently who could shed some light and their own experience on this matter it'd be great.
    Hope you feel better soon.

It's weird, eh? I couldn't imagine not being able to draw the curtains at the very least, right? It's the most private of times and why would anyone not want some privacy around their bed at least?

I was told I could only see my husband if I left the labour ward and walked around outside with him. To be clear, the labour ward is where you could spend many many hours alone - NOT where you deliver, which is the shortest part.
    Then the doctor said that was only IF I didn't need monitoring, and IF the doctor said so, and IF I didn't want any pain medication.
    I didn't get the doctor's name, but to her credit she was nice. Unfortunately for her she had to be the bearer of the bad news... ;)
    Bottom line is, I'm not going to the hospital until the VERY LAST MINUTE if possible! :)

Aquarian is offline Registered User

You can't draw the curtains round you because the nurses need to be able to see at a glance if you're alright and also it obscures their view of the beds behind yours.

(Once you have the baby they pretty much insist you keep them closed if you're breastfeeding though).

Your husband would be allowed in during visiting hours but not the rest of the time.

Just a update on the thread: I am currently in PoW as I was suffering from severe abdominal pain in the middle of the night and they decided to keep me in for observation as I am 33 weeks.
    I was put straight into a public ward for monitoring and check ups. Whilst my husband wasn't allowed in the ward...he was allowed to wait for me out in the corridor as I was quite nervous and having him just a few feet away was very very comforting. I was allowed to pop in and out of my own accord to join him after they ran some tests and I was waiting for the ultrasound scans. There was no mention of him staying despite the fact it was 2am and clearly outside visiting hours. He even went to the vending machines and we got snacks and drinks and had a mini feast out in the corridor!
    I took this opportunity to clarify with the doctor on duty what happens when I am in labour will my husband be allowed to stay. She says and I quote "he wouldn't be allowed into the maternity ward but he will be allowed to wait out in the corridor like he is now, and if I am fit, I can walk out to sit with him. When I am in active labour he will be allowed into delivery room unless complications arise."

That was good and comforting to know. Even though I was in the ward and he was outside it...he still felt very close because there are no doors and my bed was very close to the entrance which helped. He could see where I was lying and if i pop myself up I could see him.

I'm hoping to get out this afternoon if all goes well. And to be honest after this initial experience with PoW I am very happy to be having my baby here. The ward isn't very busy, nurses and doctors are very nice and the toilets extremely clean. Even When my phone was running out of battery, I asked about charging my phone the kind nurse says "ok only for 20 minutes though."

You poor dear - thanks for taking the time to update us even though you're in pain! It was extremely thoughtful of you. Thank you so much.
    I really hope all is going well for you and that you got out of there - safely and soundly - as soon as was possible.

I am so pleased to hear this but sending you happiness and positivity (and lots of comfort!)
    -Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast