Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Successfully get into CIS

Welldone is offline Registered User

Successfully get into CIS

Dear Mommies, I would like to see if you have experience with CIS that your kid was admitted not on the reception year but P1, due to the reason that he could not get an interview for the reception year. it is hard to get a space even for interview, which my boy was not offered one. Any thought or advice.. ? Welldone

sundayz0 is offline Registered User

My kid didn't get an interview for Reception, either, but then again, very few do. I do have one colleague whose son got an interview and got in, and they are not in any of the priority categories. I have met her son who is about 6 months older than mine, and he is extremely well-spoken, articulate, and mature for his age (he started this fall at CIS and is now 5).

Other families I know who have gotten in have seriously tried to work their connections to any of the trustees, staff, etc. One family got to know many of the trustees by becoming a board member of a charitable organization many of them serve on. Another father wrote letters explaining his unique position within the journalism community and what he could offer to the school (he was the head of the Asia bureau for one of the major int'l newspapers at the time). The school definitely likes having a who's who among its parent community, so for regular folks, the key is to make yourself stand out in a good way.

I think it is virtually impossible to get in considering the over 900 applicants they get for the Reception spaces -- the odds are not in our favor. At the higher grades, there is very little movement, so it doesn't seem to get much easier as the kids are older. Maybe others who were successful have some additional advice.

Welldone is offline Registered User

Hi Sundayz0,

Thank you very much for your reply and information. It is indeed helpful to know more and knows our position. I understand it is very hard. In this case, it meant we have to have the right connections to increase the chance or the kid has to be very smart.

How is your kid now? which school he/she is going to? if you have also applied other schools like CDNIS, SIS, HKIS etc?

We got the interview from CDNIS due to the fact that our son is the passport holder. Once we get the interview, it all depends on the kid's performance. It is so competitive and stressful. I am checking out private tutor and interviewing class availability. I did not think i would do so before but now i can feel the peers pressure. HK Schooling is not much fun for parents.

Welldone

sundayz0 is offline Registered User

Hi Welldone,

I just sent you a PM. Please check your messages folder.

Thanks,
    Sundayz