Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pls help. 5 year old education...

luvjoara is offline Registered User

Question Pls help. 5 year old education...

Hi all,
    Pls help. I am a bit lost with the hk education system. My son will turn into 5 year old in Jan 2014 and we will be moving to HK at around June. My questions are 1) Does kindergarten also have a break starting from July? If yes, this would mean there will be few kindergarten accepting my child from June... 2) If kindergarten starts from Sep, am I too late to make admission for my child since we did not even put him on the waiting list? 3) Do international schools run kindergarten as well? 4) If I plan for my child to start primary 1 in year 2015, am I too late for puttingi him on the wait list? I heard the registration starts around two years before the primary 1 starting year...

Pls help... I have been searching for these everywhere but could not find information... Thank you in advance!!

rani is offline Administrator

A 5 year old should actually be in Y1 and not kindergarten for most schools. International Kindys do run summer classes, and don't really close, but this doesn't mean you're guaranteed a place in Sept once everyone is back.

I would recommend applying now for a Primary 1 place starting Sept 14. Do you know where you will be living? If you're interested in ESF you could apply for the Nomination Righs Scheme.

Individual Nomination Rights | English Schools Foundation

There is also a new school opening up in Lam Tim,

Nord Anglia International School Hong Kong\

Here's a list of other schools
    http://hongkong.geoschools.com/artic...not-know-about

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Dear Rani
    Thank u very much for your kind help!!!!! This really helped me.. But 1 more question please. What I found was that only 6 year old can enter primary 1... He will be 5 and 9 months old next year (2014) Sep. Is he old enough?!

Sorry Rani

Is this because the whole education period is 13 years in hongkong? I feel like kids are starting their education earlier...

rani is offline Administrator

If you look at ESF for example, the next intake for Y1 kids are for kids born in 2009.

Overview | English Schools Foundation

Korean International
    KOREAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL this is for the current year 2013

As local schools do 3 years of Kindy, most kids are 6 when they join P1 but this is not the case for International schools.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Thank u so much again Rani. The reason people prefer ESF schools over international schools, would it be because of school fee or the quality of education? I am searching through the websites you have provided and thank u so much again.!!!

mamajemima1010 is offline Registered User

Hi moms..

I also have a 14 months daughter and have been searching for a good playgroup near our place (TKO)

I hear about SKIP / MILLS / ESF / ICMS / IMS..

But still confused.. Is it really necessary for my daughter to go to school this year? And please if someone have recommendation for all of this school, I am really open for suggestion.

Thank you so much..

victoryu19 is offline Registered User

It is not necessary to go to school this year (i.e. PN class). But going to PN will give you priority for K1 class in the same school.

Are you living in Tseung Kwan O? IMS and ICMS are on the Hong Kong Island side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast