Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Anyone giving birth in Queen Mary Hospital?

yanyan11 is offline Registered User

Anyone giving birth in Queen Mary Hospital?

My husband and I and our 17-month boy are moving to HK from London in two months time. I'm due in August and I'm a bit anxious about finding the hospital etc. We are thinking of registering at the QMH after hearing a lot of good things about the hospital. I wonder if anyone expecting to give birth in QMH this summer and wondering if you know how difficult it will be to register at the hospital only two months before the due date.

Many thanks!

addmorecloud is offline Registered User

Are you planning to go private or public? If you haven't been through the public system in Hong Kong, I believe there is a charge of approx $90,000 (to prevent women from mainland China coming over just to give birth).

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User

The public system is available for anyone as long as they have an ID card.
    Once you have your visa/ ID card the cost of delivery will be $50 admission fee and then $100/night.

If you do not have a visa/ ID when you give birth you will be charged private rates which are in line with other private hospitals, approx $100k, with all procedures etc being charged at private rates.

Ouch that could be very expensive! I will have to go for public as husband's work insurance policy doesn't cover maternity. I am from mainland China but will be on dependent visa and HKID attached to husband's work permit. Hopefully that will be ok.. Will two months before the due date be sufficient time for us to settle into the hosptial etc? I will have most of my maternity care done in London by then.

addmorecloud is offline Registered User

Hopefully you will be okay with an ID card, but I would register as soon as you can to make sure. Good luck!

Thank you for your help!

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User

With an ID card in hand, a confirmed pregnancy test and proof of address (to determine you are registering at the public hospital in your catchment area) you will have no problem registering.
    Despite being in Hk for all of my last pregnancy I only registered with the public system at about 32wks pregnant and there was no problem. All my previous antenatal care I had done privately in HK.
    They will ask for a copy of all your records from London, test results, scans etc and then you will just slot into the public system. They even let me reduce the frequency of my public appointments in the last few weeks as I was still seeing my private dr. There is an appointment at 36 weeks and 40 weeks that they insist you attend and is held at the hospital where you will deliver and not the clinic, otherwise I found them very accommodating

rani likes this.

Hi many thanks for your post! We have just received our visa and we are going to arrive at HK in three weeks time. It looks like I will be around 32 weeks too when I go and register at the hospital! I will remember to bring all of my hospital notes.

Did you attend any antenatal class at the hospital or did you do it with your private doctor?

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast