Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Ivf

Pooky is offline Registered User

Hi, it's been interesting reading this thread, as we (my husband and I) are considering starting IVF after unsuccessful IUI treatments. I was looking at the sanatorium who have quoted pax $110,000. I wanted to know if a) this is the norm b) would this include the drugs you need to take? and B) if it is true that it takes an average of 3 treatments for it to work? (Not sure where I heard this!)

I wish money wasn't a factor, but it is, so I need to do my research. I looked at the sanatorium as I know it does have a great success rate. Also other clinics who don't do IVF, seem to refer you there from what I've found out.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated! I read above about being a public patient, but I am sadly too impatient to wait 2 years!
    Thanks

Angela123 is offline Registered User

Hi Pooky,

Yes, the drugs would be included...Drugs are the reason why IVF is so expensive.

And I heard that too but I know some of the ladies who had success on first try. But that depends on our age, fertility issues and LUCK :)

I am impatient too. I wish i could start IVF right now. I applied as public patient in QMH just in case i had no luck so that it wont be so expensive and less stressful.. and one of the reason is 2 of my relatives had IVF in QMH and success on 1st try so i might be lucky there? who knows. But hopefully I wont need to go there :) May i know how long you have been trying to conceive? and why no luck so far?

Pooky is offline Registered User

Hi Angela,
    Thanks for your reply. We have been trying for nearly 2 years for our second child, having had no problems with our first. Tests show there is nothing wrong, but it just isn't happening! I guess it will eventually if we kept going, but not guaranteed and after several IUIs, IVF has been suggested. Not sure if this is a good route for us really, but exploring the options.

Good luck to you-I hope things happen before you reach 2 years and go as a public patient- but it's great you have that option. It's definitely got me thinking :)

hchray is offline Registered User

hello. i just want to let you know my second ivf at queen mary worked (first one ended in miscarriage). Fell pg at 39 - had to have frozen embie transfer as my progesterone levels were too high that same cycle.

nothing wrong with me or hub, just unexplained.

please feel free to PM me if any q's about QM, i was very happy with the level of care. good luck everyone who is going through ivf… i am due in 2 weeks so proof that it can and does work ;-)

rani, Angela123 and MilliGoh like this.

hchray is offline Registered User

btw I should say at Queen Mary you can opt for semi-private, which is what we did, given my age.

it took a few months to get an appointment to see the doctor (I saw Ernest Ng, who was happy with). price depends on how many meds you need, i think it cost around 50-60k for our first attempt last year…

rani likes this.

Angela123 is offline Registered User

hi Alice, Which doctor were you seeing for ivf at sanatorium?

doctorexpert is offline Registered User

Hi all, I would share my IVF knowledge..

1. Natural pregnancy rate is only 30%, surprise! So even though IVF sucessful rate is 30%, meaning it can take you back to natural rate, but not more than taht.

2. TCM - it can help mother who has miscarriage, as TCM / accuputure can help the eggs "landing" smoothly, but it cannot help the pregnancy rate.

3. Laboratory. The embryologist is also a key critical success factor in IVF, as his technique and experience can select the best embryo to transfer and incubate a good condition embryo. So, instead of selecting a good doctor, you may think about to select a good laboratory. I know Dr. Tony Chiu, who is the leading embryologist in hong kong.

4. Money. ~ 50% of cost are medications, 10% are anaesthetic , another 20% for lab fee, and 20% goto doctor... so the economy way is goto private centre with quality laboratory, but not for hospital, as usually they charge higher on medications, lab fee and anaesthetic...

Baby bubbles is offline Registered User

Hi Drexpert,

While I don't doubt your reasoning, I must say that I called both hospitals (QMH and HKS&H) and both labs (ProIVFic and Victory ART) on HK Island and was given similar quotes from all. They all said around $100K except QMH who were a bit cheaper $80-90K. I didn't research Kowloon/ NT though.

I've heard that people go to Bangkok to make it cheaper but I was quoted around $70,000 HKD and that was before factoring in spending a month or so there.

As far as I could tell, the pricing seems quite similar wherever you go, sadly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top