Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Need recommendation for obstetrician POWH

FactChecker is offline Registered User

Need recommendation for obstetrician POWH

Hello, can anyone recommend an excellent obstetrician at POWH? I'm looking into going private there. Thanks!

pumi26 is offline Registered User

It is not possible to go private at POWH. I just gave birth there 3 months ago and we did call several times there but they explained to us, private rooms are only available for government staff.

yyzification is offline Registered User

Pumi26, I'm also considering POWH for next Feb. how did you like it? If there is no private room option, how was the general ward? Staff? Were you able to have baby room in with you right after delivery?

pumi26 is offline Registered User

I had a terrible experience there. Will never go there again. Too many things went wrong, cannot list everything here but just a few of the worst things:
    1) husband was not allowed to be with me while I was in labour (I had a regular pregnancy, no risks), he was only allowed to join the last 7 minutes and my baby's head was already crowning when he entered the room.
    2) no epidural given although I was induced and was in extreme pain. They said the doctor is busy.
    3) I was strapped on a bed for the whole duration of the labour process, was not allowed to walk or do any exercises I learned in prenatal classes.
    4) doctor was terrible, couldn't even break my water (very young doctor). Had to call another doctor to do it. He was also the one doing the episiotomy and messed it up (my private midwife confirmed that afterwards), my healing process took much longer.
    And on, and on, and on..... Will NEVER go there again! You share the labour room with around 20-25 other women. The postnatal ward is the same size, don't expect any sleep.

yyzification is offline Registered User

That was horrendous. Im so sorry. Thank you so much for sharing. Hope you had a speedy recovery

bellamojo is offline Registered User

I'll play the other side here and share that I liked having my baby at POW. But I knew what to expect, was terrified going in, and yes, some of those things are as mentioned.
    BUT I am pregnant again and have already registered to go back and have the second one there.
    No, husband isn't with you when you're in the first stage ward. To clarify: that means when you're in writhing pain, begging for drugs (if you so do - I did!) and not even noticing if he's there. In my experience, I was too busy / in too much pain to care, and luckily enough that only lasted about two hours for me. Husband came into the delivery room and was only a bit late because he was out having lunch and not expecting me to deliver so fast! ;) But he was called as I was being taken down and arrived on time.
    Baby is left with you beside your bed as much as you want. Being the only non-Chinese when I was there, I was left to my own devices (which was what I wanted). Curtains drawn, no peeking in, enjoying snuggle time and breastfeeding. Help was given to me whenever I asked for it.
    I BEGGED for an epidural, but didn't get one. Then again, I dilated from 1 to 10 in a few hours, so it wasn't going to happen anyway.
    So the big reason why I'm going back there is because the medical staff are top notch and took excellent care of me. You don't plan on things like retained placenta and manual removal (involves a surgical procedure). You don't plan on having a reaction to a spinal resulting in an emergency CT scan. You don't plan on being held in observation for six hours after, being wrapped in heat bags, being unable to see your newborn (who's being well-taken care of.) But it happened. And the care was fast, efficient, painless, and the doctors even smiled and cracked jokes with me.
    The post-natal care for LO has been phenomenal. He's needed leg splints for both legs and the care - while not squeaky clean and pretty - has been the same level. They don't mess around, they take care of you.
    I know what to expect and I know how good the care is. Bottom line is that's what mattered to me, and that's why I didn't even hesitate to register my second pregnancy there.
    Best of luck to you, it will all work out for you!!