Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Washing cloth diapers on holiday in HK

zknower is offline Registered User

Washing cloth diapers on holiday in HK

Hello mamas and papas:

My wife and I will be visiting HongKong in May with our son who is nearly 3. We use cloth diapers, and on previous vacations in the USA have simply taken them to the laundromat.

But I have read that there are no laundromats in HK? We are staying in an apartment for one week and a nice hotel in the second week. The apartment has a washer but no dryer; the hotel presumably has a laundry service, but I imagine it's expensive.

So I wanted to ask you all what options we might have for washing our nappies in HK. Are there any cleaning businesses where we could drop off and pick up diapers? Are there laundromats and I just haven't found them yet? Any advice you can provide would be most helpful.

Cheers,

Zachary
    Brooklyn, NY

SandyChan is offline Registered User

Where is your apartment? Of coz there is laundromats in HK. Usually the charge of the laundromats is countig by the weight of the cloth. But I am not sure if they have the servise for washing baby diaper. Or maybe you can wash the diaper in your apartment first and take it to the laundromats to dry it.

Sorry, in the USA, laundromat means self-serve, not drop-off service. I am looking for a self-service laundromat, or a drop-off service that will accept diapers. I have written to Clean Living, for example, and they won't take them.

Our apartment is in Soho. But the second week, we will be in a hotel in Central, and will not have access to a machine.

So I either need a service where they will accept them, or a self-serve laundromat where I can do them myself.

Thank you for any advice!

rani is offline Administrator

There isn't a diaper service in Hong Kong. However there are a couple of self service laundromats. Not sure if they'll be ok with you using their machines for diapers. Here's 1 close to Central

https://www.facebook.com/wl3street

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Thanks Rani. I will try messaging them!

So, bumping this back up, in case anyone can help. I tried the laundromat Rani recommended above, and they will not accept cloth diapers.

I called our hotel and they said they will wash them.... at a rate of 50 $HK PER DIAPER!! Which is obviously outrageous. I made them repeat it a couple of times to be sure it wasn't a language issue.

So I need to ask again: Does anyone here know of a coin-laundromat OR a wash-and-fold service that will accept cloth diapers?

Thanks in advance.

catan is offline Registered User

For apartment stay, use the washer and dry them near a window or in the bathroom. Drying time depends largely on the type of cloth diaper you have. If the weather is sunny, they can dry quite quickly by a window.

We are actually here now. Found a laundry in Soho for the apartment stay (perfect dry cleaners on Bridges St), and now another one near the hotel (Sunshine on Lockhart). Both are only using cold water, but we're just having them wash twice, and all is well. Thanks for your reply!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast