Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Epidural at Queen Mary?

sallyafc is offline Registered User

Epidural at Queen Mary?

Hello,

Ca anybody share their experience of giving birth with an epidural at Queen Mary? At what stage were you given the epidural? Also, did you have a private room whilst you were in labour/giving birth?

Thanks,

Sally

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User

My last experience at QMH with an epidural was 2010 so I am sure there are other mums with more recent experience but I was given an epidural about an hour after I requested it. During that time a midwife apologised for the delay but the anaesthetist was caught up with an emergency.

In all three of my deliveries (2008,2010,2013) at QMH as soon as you are 3cm dilated you will be moved from the antenatal ward to your labour room which is private. I am sure this wouldnt have changed.

Aco
    Aco is offline Registered User

You ll be moved to a private delivery room when you are about 3cm. But if they are all occupied, you might have to wait a couple of hours till one becomes available.

You ll only get the epidural and/or gas in that private room but again you might wait a bit for the anesth. to be free. Make sure you say u want an epid when you get admitted so they know.

Good luck

Aco
    Aco is offline Registered User

You ll be moved to a private delivery room when you are about 3cm. But if they are all occupied, you might have to wait a couple of hours till one becomes available.

You ll only get the epidural and/or gas in that private room but again you might wait a bit for the anesth. to be free. Make sure you say u want an epid when you get admitted so they know.

Good luck

tinachaule is offline Registered User

Dear Aco,

Did you have to pay extra fees to get the epidural? Should I tell the hospital before hand during my check-up or should I wait until my delivery day to tell them?

Thank you very much.

rani is offline Administrator

There aren't any extra fees for an epidural but you should include it in your birth plan and perhaps discuss with your Dr when you go over the birth plan.

http://www.obsgyn.hku.hk/files/birth...2013-table.pdf

Good luck!

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

tinachaule is offline Registered User

Wow, Thank you very much Rani. It is so helpful.

I am at 28 weeks pregnant so probably the public hospital hasn't discussed birth plan with me yet. I will talk to them in my coming appointment of Group B Streptococcus screening.