Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Any recent experience with Canossa?

tibbar2011 is offline Registered User

Any recent experience with Canossa?

Tried looking for comments about Canossa but they are all over 6 years old. Any recent experience? Particularly interested in their support for breastfeeding - the old comments seem to suggest the nurses are not particularly supportive for breastfeeding e.g. they won't bring the baby to you until hours after giving birth; nurses would keep "offering" bottles for babies. Is that still the case? thanks

Pandy is offline Registered User

Hello there. I gave birth at Canossa in 2014. After birth they let you cuddle the baby, but they then take baby to another room where the Pedi checks out the baby and clean baby up, while Dr finishes up on you. I then went back the room and baby came back within 1hr for first feed on breast. You have the option to keep baby in your room, or you can feed in the nursery. You can call for baby when you want, or you can tell them to bring baby to you when crying for a feed. Canossa maybe suits mothers who are more "local" but I saw foreigners as well. Matilda is more expat friendly. I had stays at both.

Franztorres21 likes this.

gothique is offline Registered User

Thanks for the feedback Pandy.

I am also giving birth at Canossa this summer and feeling nervous about the feedback re BF. (having read the old posts)

Anyone else had a recent experience at Canossa to share please? Much appreciated!

yukim39 is offline Registered User

I gave birth at Canossa 2 months ago (Dec 2015) and can tell you that the nurses were great. Within an hour of giving birth they helped me breast feed my baby. I stayed with my baby in the room throughout so that I can feed on demand, which was at times challenging being a first time mum, but the nurses offered a lot of support and help even during the night. They shared a lot of personl experience having breastfed themselves, showed me good postures and how to burp the baby etc, which I found extremely helpful. I also had a private session at the baby centre where they gave me a recap on breast feeding techniques, something that I learned during the ante natal classes but had forgotten.

Also, the nurse asked me right after giving birth whether I wanted them to give my baby formula - I told them no, and they took note of that and did not give any throughout the stay. I can tell you that they are all supportive of breast feeding, and willing to offer help.

medinids is offline Registered User

I gave birth in Canossa last month (January 2015).
    1. I am a doctor myself so I could see that their OT was well equipped for emergencies should they arise.
    2. The staff was very breast feeding friendly. They would let me keep my baby with me for as long as I wanted and take him away to the nursery when I needed rest. No matter what time of the day or night, the experts would come to help me (FTM) with feeding/latching the baby and helping me burp him.
    3. Nurses would come on their own to help me express the milk and teach me how to massage my breasts to avoid engorgement.
    4. My husband and I were given 2 hour complementary class on how to bath, change and feed the baby at their Birth Center unit downstairs.
    5. Nurses were prompt and supportive in coordinating with my doctors (paediatrician and my obgyn), following their instructions, explaining my queries and pacifying my concerns with respect to nursing.
    My overall experience was good and I would recommend delivering in canossa to my friends.

gothique is offline Registered User

Thank you so much for the comments yukim39 and medinids

It is a huge relief to know that they are breast feeding friendly.

Could I be cheeky and ask if you ladies took the general, 3 bed / 2 bed / private ward?

I am considering general ward to save some cash.

Just wondering if there is any difference in the treatment...

Thanks again for sharing your experiences, I really feel relieved and definitely more positive now! Heading to pay the deposit this weekend!

yukim39

medinids is offline Registered User

You're most welcome gothique :) I took the private room but when I had made enquiry and checked the rooms, the only difference I was told was that my husband could stay with me in private ward and I could have the baby stay with me overnight if I wanted to. However in a semi private room, they don't allow any attendant to stay after 9 pm and the baby is brought to you every few hours to feed and kept in the nursery rest of the time. (Invariably we all end up doing that as the mother is also recuperating, so needs that kind of rest).

yukim39 is offline Registered User

I have the exact same experince as medinids :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast