Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

urgent: baby not drinking from breast, help

rs2000 is offline Registered User

urgent: baby not drinking from breast, help

Hi All,

My baby is 5 days old and despite trying very hard (15-25 mins everytime) througout. he does not even try drinking my breast. I have been expressing milk using pump and giving it to him but its getting increasingly difficult for me.
    Please can you help suggest some very good lactation consultant who can help (who can help) or some tips?

I have had csection and would really like someone to come to our place (we can provide pick n drop service)

i have tried nipple shields, changing positions, etc. milk flow is fine but he only likes to drink from bottle.

thanks a lot

rani is offline Administrator

Yvonne Heavyside at the Family Zone is good
    Family Zone | the Family Zone

You can also call La Leche League, there maybe a volunteer near you.
    http://www.lll-hk.org/contact-us.html

Hang in there

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

thanks Rani
    i reached out to lll

also for nappy rash, anyhing in particular I shall use. currenlty I am using vaseline and a cream. but thats not helping much

revesi is offline Registered User

rs2000, did the baby latch on after birth? or did he not latch on at all? are you feeding using a bottle or something like a cup?

Albina is offline Registered User

Hi!
    First of all your baby doesn't have an experience of sucking milk from your brest so it takes time for baby to know how to do eat properly, so give your baby a chance to learn day by day. It is much harder to suck it prom breast then to eat from the bottle cause from the bottle milk goes by itself easily. You need to know that almost everyone is having problems for the first time but it's worth it- you are giving the best for your child! Don't feed baby from the bottle because he/she will get used to it so easily and then u can say good bhy for direct breastfeeding. Believe me, breastfeeding makes mother so happy abd a child so healthy but it needs time for skills from you and from the baby. In the beginning i also had some problems, crying etc .but in the sake of my daughter's health i passed it. I really suggest you to go to the doc or breastfeeding consultation , maybe you are making some mistakes when trying to feed your baby.

Albina is offline Registered User

Omg am so sorry, this was in 2008. Sorry for replying !

thanks Albina, revesi
    no it wasnt in 2008. but baby is 7 days old only :)

no he did not latch at all after birth. i try everyday. he keeps crying for 15 mins, and then I give him and feed him ina bottle. he prefers crying rather than trying to take it from breasts
    its my third child and i have breastfed before. i dont know why he dislikes it so much.
    i also check and dont think there is thrush

btc
    btc is offline Registered User

@rs2000. Have you had him checked for tongue-tie? That can affect latching. Are you engorged? If you are then it can be hard for baby to latch and you might need to express to soften your breasts before latching baby on. Also do you know if your letdown is fast or slow? Either one may frustrate baby. I suggest a home visit by a qualified LC. Yvonne Heavyside has been mentioned who I had and found good. Friends swear by Conchita from The Nappy Valley http://thenappyvalley.com/ I would suggest getting help as soon as possible. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast