Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

No zero what I'm going....

Claire33 is offline Registered User

No zero what I'm going....

Hi all!

I'm currently 7 weeks pregnant and have only been in HK for three months.

I've got a HKID and will be using the public system. im outside the waiting period for private health cover. I'm planning to supplement my care with some private scans etc.

When do you register with the local Health centres to enrol with the public system? How many weeks along? The website is very confusing!

Is the 12week scan the first time you will have an ultrasound? Can independently organise my own scans prior without a referral?

Incredibly confusing as the GP I saw last week was very private orientated and has left me to my own devices. Do I need a pregnancy confirmation letter from here? Just gave me the positive pregnancy test

HELP!

Thanks very much

kmills84 is offline Registered User

Hi!

Congratulations on your news, it's pretty daunting knowing where to start. I was in your position a few weeks ago.

I would recommend going to Annerley as they do a free workshop about the public and private system. They also have some great packages which include midwive checkups and antenatal classes or they do another package which substitutes public OB visits with private ones up until the birth in a public hospital so you get the best of both.

I'm going public and I managed to have a scan before the 12 week one, I would recommend 'topping up' with private OB visits for scans as I hear the public system they don't always have time to answer questions.

So before you register yourself at a public hospital I highly recommend you speak to someone at Annerley who can go through the timeline of the various appointments with you. :)

Claire33 is offline Registered User

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply!

It's a bit daunting trying to navigate in a system that I'm reasonable unfamiliar with and being a first timer! I'm definitely going to check out the Annerely. They look great and it really like the idea of supplementing with some private options.

Thanks!

Scroll to top