Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: How did you bring yr baby home from the hospital?

Voters
79. This poll is closed
  • Baby Bjorn or other carrier

7 8.86%
  • Sling

3 3.80%
  • Carseat

54 68.35%
  • Other (pls elaborate)

15 18.99%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bringing Baby Home

hkgirl is offline Registered User

I definitely think a rear-facing carseat is safest and that's what we used, but I know it's a very expensive investment if you don't have a car. I now put my daughter in a sling or baby carrier with the lap seat belt around me (making sure my daughter's legs aren't trapped under it) and then I put the shoulder belt behind my back. This is probably the safest alternative if you don't have a carseat. The large buses and the train are the safest modes of transportation if you don't have a proper infant safety seat, so I think those should be chosen over more accident prone modes of transportation such as taxis and mini-buses.
    Growing up in Canada, I am very uncomfortable not having my daughter in a carseat, but it would be impossible to carry it around with us the whole time we were out as we don't have a car.
    Safe travels!

HappyV is offline Registered User

It's nice to see people taking this issue seriously - I get so angry when I see HK parents in cars/taxis with their kids not in a seat belt, and often not even in their parents' laps - just climbing all over the car. These people are just ignorant - not just of the law but of common sense which tells us that this is dangerous!
    There is a group of children who get off the DB ferry every morning on their way to kindergarten. I always see three adults with five children get into one taxi, with no seat belts for anyone. If there was an accident, I am sure these children would be badly injured.
    I honestly wish the HK Police would have an officer there one morning, just to make these stupid women aware that they are being careless with these kids' lives.
    Sorry to be so dramatic, but it really scares me.

hkgirl is offline Registered User

I agree HappyV and some things are important enough to need some drama! I see people holding infants in the front seat with no restraints at all. Even a small accident could result in the baby becoming a projectile and being killed. It is very scary and you are right, there should be more education and laws in this area.

Valencia is offline Registered User

The first thing I do when getting into a taxi is to lock both doors, since my daughter tried touching the lock once, then belt her and myself up.

In minibuses, the HK Police does have CIDs looking for people not buckling up, then ask the driver to stop and give people summons to court for fines.

capital is offline Banned

what is the law now now? Last time I was in hong kong Adults had to use the seat belts in taxi's but car seats were not required. Al least this is what my brother in law told me. We did not take our car seat with us (from Canada) as my husband refused to saying it was too impractical to use with the taxi's so everytime we went in one I prayed we weren't killed. I worn the infant carrier and strapped my self in some how, but I know if we were in an accident that would not do anything as there is no head support for the baby at all! In Canada I have never gone anywhere without the car seat. Next time we go I will have a toddler and a baby and have no idea what to do. If you use a taxi there is no way I can drag 2 car seats along with me into stores, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12