Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Private Hospital Costs for Child Birth

AC1234 is offline Registered User

Private Hospital Costs for Child Birth

Hi!

We are planning on having our first baby in Hong Kong. We are not certain of Doctors, Hospitals, costs etc as none of our friends have given birth here. Would appreciate if someone could answer me with the following:

1. I saw in a previous thread that some had got insurance cover for childbirth. My company insurance plan states that normal child birth is not covered but that other complications would be. Does this mean that forceps too would be covered?

2.Further the adventist hospital maternity package states the private package as 26k and semi private 16k. Further when I checked with Dr Dawkins his package was somewhere around another 26k. Would it be possible to get a Dr for a cheaper rate?

3. Is it possible to have my total delivery cost to be around 30-40k?

Thanks

AC

rani is offline Administrator
    AC1234,

Have a read through this thread on pregnancy costs

Pregnancy Costs

Dr's charges fluctuate on the class of room you select. For example my Dr quoted me $10K for the General Ward and $20K for a private room.

Rani
    Last edited by rani; 03-03-2005 at 07:49 AM.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Slee is offline Registered User
    I'm afraid Dr Dawkins only delivers at Matilda which, while devine, is more expensive than the Adventist. Dr Ho who delivers at a variety of hospitals does a package for the same price but spilts payment into three lots instead of two. Have you looked into upgrading your insurance to cover normal pregnancy costs as well? Alternatively, you could sign up separately with an international insurer yourself (HK insurers are a lot more stingy!).

Rani, are the figures you're quoting just for delivery or for all care? Dr Ho and Dr Dawkin's packages cover everything incl. ultrasounds with the exception of lab costs.

Originally posted by Slee
    Rani, are the figures you're quoting just for delivery or for all care? Dr Ho and Dr Dawkin's packages cover everything incl. ultrasounds with the exception of lab costs.
    Just for delivery.

Rani
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

NOA
    NOA is offline Registered User
    I stayed in a first class room at Adventist hospital with emergency c-section package.

I would never forget the bill amount of HKD141,000, since I didn't have any insurance to cover!!!!

I don't exactly remember the breakdown of the bill....
    $40,000 only for Dr.'s operation fee
    $15,000 for anestheist
    $10,000 for pediatrician
    $50,000 for emergency c-section package......

Some OB doctors can work as pediatricians, which saves you some money on pediatricians.

pokfumum is offline Registered User
    If those figures are daunting you might want to consider using the public system. I had my first baby at Queen Mary's last year. The bill came to HK$200. I saw a private obstetrician until the last few weeks and couldn't praise the staff at QM enough. I'm from the UK and in my experience the standards were extremely high (better than anything I've seen in the NHS) and the staff were delightful.

We spent the extra money on midwife support after we got Hannah home - that's when I really needed help!

Good luck!

AC1234 is offline Registered User
    Thanks evryone for the useful information.

As "pokfumum" states the figures seem quite daunting. I too have heard that the public system here is good. Arent there Doctors you can channel privately who would finally do the delivery in a public hospital?

Yes I am also trying to upgrade my insurance but not sure if I'm too late though!!!!

Thanks once again everyone and Rani I am glad to be a part of your forum. Its so helpful, specially when you arent too familiar with the country.

AC1234,

We're happy to have you here and glad to be of assistance.

Unfortunately, the private Drs cannot deliver in the public hospitals.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast