Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What to bring from Aus to HK

suzieq is offline Registered User

What to bring from Aus to HK

We are moving from Sydney to HK toward the end of July with our (then) 8 mth old daughter. Can anyone suggest what 'baby stuff' to load up the container with i stuff that is either hard to get here or mega expensive??

Same goes for any other comforts from home that anyone can suggest, i.e the 10 jars of vegemite and case of cottees cordial!!!

Ta very muchly

SQ

jools is offline Registered User
    Hi suzieq,
    So you decided to come; welcome to Hong Kong. I think my advice would be to bring as much as you can. Yes you can buy everything out here and some things are more expensive, but I found the hardest thing to start with was finding where everything was. Rather than having town centre type shopping where there are different shops in the same area, they either have expensive shopping malls or shops that sell the same thing clustered in one place, which is great for keeping the prices down as there is alot of competition, but does mean you have to visit alot of different places if you want to buy a number of things. Like I said this was the difficulty I had at the beginning, but that's the same with any new place finding your way around can be tricky. Once you've got to know the place, you'll find the cheapest places to get the best deals.

There's a couple of things I regret not bringing mainly on the toys front, but also books, as they can be expensive.

Good luck with the move and if you need any help finding your way around just give us a shout.

Jools

Seb's Dad is offline Registered User
    Phenergan!!!

Slee is offline Registered User
    Vegemite is in every supermarket so keep that case for something else - maybe some Australian reds as there's a 100% tax here on wine!

suzieq is offline Registered User
    Yep, there will be a fair bit of that getting loaded in!!!

jane01 is offline Registered User
    With the Aussie dollar as high as it is, I don't find much difference in price between Aus and HK nowadays. In fact, lots of things are actually cheaper in HK, never thought I'd say that.

I was recently in Australia and purchased nappy bin liners from a baby shop - they were AU$19.95 (about HK$120). Exactly the same product (same brand, size, etc.) is HK$55 in Mothercare !

Childrens clothes - I love Stanley markets and if you are living Southside, it will be convenient for you. You can buy lots of brand name clothes, fabulous quality, really cheap. For winter I brought my daughter an Osh Kosh tracksuit - HK$120, bargain.

Having said that, I always buy towels and sheets in Australia. HK seems to have either the very cheap or the very expensive, nothing in between. Nothing comparable to, say, Sheridan or Country Road.

If you are an average sized Aussie gal (over a size 10 Australian), you'll have trouble finding clothes anywhere except M&S. I always buy my clothes in Australia, and I'm not huge (size 12 Aust clothes, size 9 shoes). For example, last time I checked with Bally HK, they only stocked up to a size 8 shoe.

Good luck with the move