Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

baby formula

mammalicious is offline Registered User

baby formula

i'v been breastfeeding exclusively and would like to just introduce some formula into the rice cereal for my baby now that she is 6 months old. we are going away for a holiday and i don't want to bring my breastpump with me to pump milk out for her night bottle feed and cereal so want to be sure she's had a taste of formula and accepts it before i go.

but i have very bad allergies and want to find a brand of formula that may be better suited for my baby. my doctor suggested one, but i'v forgotten which one it is.... can anyone help? i prefer not to use soy based formula.

thanks

a mom is offline Registered User
    here's what our pediatrician gave for our son because he felt the baby might be allergic:

by Wyeth
    HA S-26
    Hypoantigenic

no soy in the ingredients. i'm sorry, don't know where to buy it, i got it form the dr's office. good luck and well done breastfeeding exclusively for so long! i know, lord i know, it ain't easy!!

rani is offline Administrator
    We started weaning D at 7mths and introduced Enfapro A+ with DHA. All the breastfed babies iin our babygroup seemed to like it and its not sweet compared to some other formulas.

Founder of GeoBaby.Com

mambo is offline Registered User
    Mannings in the IFC next to Union Bar/Grill carries it. Also, the Mannings in the Prince's Bldg (the floor with all the baby stores) has a good selection of formulas as well.

Did he recommend Nestle Nan? I think they have formula for allergies?
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    Have you considered not introducing formula at this time but leaving it until you return from holiday?
    It would really spoil a holiday if your baby had an outbreak of problems because of allergy to the formula. Why not wait until you return?
    This way you also won’t give your baby too many changes all at the same time: new people, new places, new routine and new food.

One of the beauties of breastfeeding is that there are no fixed rules about it. If it isn’t convenient to start solids at six months there is no problem to delay it until seven. My babies all started solids at different times: six months, five months, eight months and six and a half months. The last one was ready for solids earlier but I didn’t want to worry about her getting her first illness (this often happens when a baby stops being exclusively breastfed and starts solids) while we were on holiday.

The other thing to remember is that because when you start solids the amounts are quite small it is no problem to give the solids on convenient days and fully breastfeed on the inconvenient days. All mine would return to full breastfeeding for a day here and there until they were over 12 months.

I hope you enjoy your holiday.

Best wishes,
    Barb

mammalicious is offline Registered User
    am going to keep breastfeeding hopefully til she reaches 1 yr old, but want to have formula in the rice cereal.

for the wyeth HA S26... i have S26-gold... is that the one?

thanks everyone

actually Rani.. is there any list or poll on which formulas are sweeter and which are not? i'v heard wyeth is one of the sweeter ones.. thanks!

no we haven't done a poll on formulas. defintely a good idea. thanks for suggesting it. yes, have heard S26 is one of the sweeter ones too.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast