Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

rocking away

engee is offline Registered User

rocking away

My 21 month old son needs to be rocked and patted on to sleep at night.If i dont give in for the rocking session he cries a lot.Do i just leave him cry off to sleep or do i continue.
    I am not sure coz i dont want him tofeel lonely or upset.But i want him to learn to sleep without my assistance.He needs to see me while sleeping....
    by the way he sleeps with us.Is it important to let him sleep by himself on another bed?
    Any comments guys?

rads is offline Banned

engee,

i can understand what you must be feeling...my son is 26 months old & I still need to rock him to sleep most nights and even for his day nap...thankfully though he started sleeping in his own roon in his own bed at about 22 months.....I really tried to brainwash him that he was going to get a great bed & I bought him sheets with all his fav characters...so he loves his bed....i somehow just can't bear to see him cry...I understand that I'm making things more difficult for myself but even I don't know what to do about the rocking...

momo is offline Registered User

Smile

My 27th months old daughter is the same. Although it is tiring for me but I feel that she is only 2 years old once and I will never get to pat her to sleep in future so I see this as a special time and rather enjoy it because I know when she is 20 years old I will look back to this time (of her wanting me to be next to her when she sleeps) with a big smile on my face.

odm_post is offline Registered User

I used to say and feel like what you all said when I still rocked my 1-year-old to sleep How long can this be? I cherished every moment of it .....until I was pregnant with no.2. Their gap is only 19 months, so....... I just couldn't bear the weight of 2 kids on me.....

So, I rocked her until she's half asleep, then put her down on her bed. She'd fuss a bit, so I stayed next to her for a while. We moved her to a toddler bed since we need the crib for no.2. Then the rocking part just got shorter and shorter. But I still had to stay next to her until she fell asleep. Until later on I started reading bedtime stories to her, so instead of rocking her to sleep, I said we'd read..... and she loved it..... and still does till now. That's how I stopped rocking her to sleep!
    I still had to sleep next to her for a few months or maybe a year before she finally outgrew this stage as well.

No.2 and no.3 fall asleep by themselves early on..... I trained them to, having experienced all that with the first one.

If you only have 1 child, or if the age gap between siblings is big, then..... you won't feel how important it is to train them to sleep on their own as early as possible.
    But when you have 2 or more, like me, how can possibly even have the time to rock them to sleep?

hmm..i guess we keep rocking then?
    haha:bighug

rads is offline Banned

odm post

I know exactly what you mean...my second child is 3 months old & she sleeps on her own...no rocking...it was very difficult for me when I was preggie...now abt once a week my son sleeps with me just lying down next to him....any idea on how to get him to leave the bottle...he drinks all liquids in a cup...only milk he'll scream if I don't give him his bottle....

thanks

rads

my son too needs the bottle for milk.he wudn drink it from a cup.i tried it with a straw ....he goes nope!
    he doesnt like drinking water either.i dono why.

i dono wat to do too.

rads is offline Banned

Unhappy

engee

is your son potty trained????? My son just says no no no when I ask him if he wants to sit on the potty....

now more and more he sleeps without rocking...hopefully he'll just outgrow it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast