Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Singapore International School Vs Kennedy

vpstse is offline Registered User

Singapore International School Vs Kennedy

I have enrolled my 5-year-old son to these two schools for the next school year. Can anyone help to compare these two schools?

sunrays is offline Registered User
    Hi vpstse,

These are two very different systems:

SIS is billingual (Mandarin and English) and has an excellent Mandarin programme. It is a very academic school with lots of homework and exams once a year for younger children and twice for older ones. They follow the Singaporean syllabus and the teachers are a mixture of Singaporeans, westeners and Mainland chinese.

Kennedy is an ESF school which follows the British system. It does not have the academic focus that SIS has and the Mandarin programme is not as strong. There will not be as much homework or as much pressure on the children as SIS.

It is worth thinking about the secondary school you want your child to go to as it is much easier to start off in the school that streams into this one. SIS will be starting a small secondary school in the coming years in the same building. ESF has a number of secondary schools in HK including South Island.

I teach children from many types of schools in HK so have a pretty good understanding of the systems and I have worked in the system too. Feel fee to ask questions.

Sunrays

zapteo is offline Registered User
    Hi Sunrays

I am concerned about whether SIS kids get to have fun while having the extra pressure as well, have you taught there b4? What about children's exposure to different nationalities? I feel it is important for kids to mingle freely and be comfortable with kids of other races. Finally, I know it appears frivolous but, what is the "elite" factor seen by the general public and expats in HK between SIS and a ESF school?

secretsquirrel is offline Registered User
    Is it possible that a kid will be rejected during interview? How's the chances like? What happen if the kid is very quiet and shy towards stranger? Wouldn't the kid be in a disadvantage position? And if one fails in interview, what other options are there for the kid?
    Aooyee likes this.

Hi zapteo and secretsquirrel,

Yes, I taught at SIS for three years and teach quite a few kids who are students there now so I know the system pretty well, but like any school it is constantly changing.

There are nearly no caucasians at SIS and the majority of students are from mainland China, Singapore, Hong Kong, or Malaysia. In that sense it is not as international as many other schools. The teaching philosophy, as I mentioned before, is exam oriented and there is more focus on exams and results than you would get at ESF.

It's hard to define "fun". They children know they have a lot of work and that the expectations are high. Those that move to ESF, recognise that it is "easier" there and a more relaxed system.

Most expats have not heard of SIS and most will go to a school that follows a western syllabus (ESF, HKIS, AIS, CIS). If you are Singaporean or want your child to get a very good grounding in mandarin then SIS is great. Also for local children who struggle to get into one of the other international schools, it can be a good stepping stone. It also depends on your child and how they learn best, some thrive in this environment and I have seen kids do really well.

If you are Singaporean your child will not fail the interview, even if shy. The success rate at interview depends on the number of spaces they have for that year. Most schools will call your child for interview. Teachers are experienced at dealing with shy kids and it is very normal, especially with the younger kids.

Try not to worry or stress as your child will pick up on this. If possible, talk to the school and find out what the interview involves and prepare your child.

Good luck and all the best,

Sunrays

joannek is offline Registered User
    what about chinese international & canadian international? what is the ratio of caucasian & chinese. is it true that most students at chinese intl are very wealthy & they're very stuck up? and is it true that although canadian intl the school system is very realxed, the parents still send them to tons of after school tuitions?

I'm not sure about the ratios at these two schools. There are wealthy parents who send their children to CIS....they have to send the children somewhere and this seems to be one of the schools they choose. I don't know about being stuck up, I teach some wealthy kids and find them very down to earth.
    Sending kids to after school tuition seems to be the trend for kids going to any type of school, especially for asian families. I don't know of you will "escape" this trend in HK.

Mrs Buffy is offline Registered User
    Hi Sunrays,

Would like to know more about Chinese Int'l vs Canadian Int'l. How do you compare these 2 schools :
    1) Academically and also in terms of work loads pressure etc?
    2) How are their Mandarin program?
    2) Child development and general behaviour (I have heard some international schools are very relaxed, kids party a lot, start smoking at young age....I am a little old fashion)

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Mrs Buffy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast