Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transfer of Domestic Helper from Singapore

Merlion is offline Registered User

Transfer of Domestic Helper from Singapore

I will be relocating to Hong Kong from Singapore and would like to bring my Domestic Helper with us. Has anyone done this recently? Please can you let me know the procedures.

Many thanks

rani is offline Administrator
    Merlion,

Do you have a Filipino helper? You need to get the forms from Immigration, complete them submit them to the Filipino Consulate for verification and chop, and then back to Immigration. The process takes 4-6 weeks. You don't need to hire an agency and do it yourself

More info on the Consulate website
    http://www.philcongen-hk.com/labor/g8.htm

And Immigration
    http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/evfhk.htm
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Has anyone out there transfered their Filipino helper from Singapore to Hong Kong? If so were you able to bring her with you immediately - how did you go about it? I have been told that before we can start her application process we must have Validated Employment Visa, Proof of Income and Proof of Residential Address along with HKID Card. We are going to apply for our own visas a couple of months before we arrive in Hong Kong, so I assume we will receive our HKID card at that stage. We will be staying in a serviced apartment when we first arrive - does that count as our residential address?

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give

rani is offline Administrator
    Hi Merlion,

You can't start the paperwork until you have your visas, and residence sorted. One of our neighbours moved from Singapore. Her helper followed 2 months later.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User
    We just bought our helper over from Singapore and it was a nightmare. We came for a visit here in May to find a house, collect our visas and apply for our HKID card. We decided to use an agency to bring our helper over as we thought it would be easier. We moved to HK 1 July.

We started the application process for her visa in may but she did not arrive until mid/end of august!

I would personally not do it again. Our helper is great but it was so stressful and there are many great helpers here.

You may have a different experience if you do the paperwork yourself as you then do not have to deal with the agenies who don't seem to know what they are doing.

You have to have your HKID before you can submit your visa application for her. You also need proof of address ie lease and proof of income. She can come in with your for a max of 2 weeks but this is supposedly on a visitors visa so she is not supposed to work - although I know lots of people who have done it. We also had to provide proof that she had been working in singapore for 2 years ie copy of work permits - this was a bit of a nightmare to obtain but we did get it in the end.

Hope this helps

Thanks Rani

Millerwhisk

I had a feeling this was going to be a headache to organise, but I have already had one horror experience with a helper so am happy to try and keep this one.

I assume the helper has to go back to the Philippines when we leave Singapore and wait for the visa to come through. Did you also pay her wages while she was waiting as it seems unfair for her to forego wages.

Which agency did you use ( so I know to avoid it!)? My relocation co has recommended we do use an agency - JC Casa in Admiralty Centre.

Thanks for your help

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Hi Merlion

I have just moved from Singapore (lah) to HK and we have brought our helper with us. TBH, she's currently here as a visitor as we didn't have time to get our own visas let alone hers. (The move was a quick one - only one month's notice).

The process is quite long and involved (much more so than in Singapore) and we used an agency in HK (who seem quite good) but who also recommended we use an agency in Singapore (who were dreadful - mainly because of communication problems. If you speak Mandarin, you'll be okay).

We now have our employment/dependant visas and will pop to Macau this weekend to validate them. After that, HK Immigration can start working on our helper's employment visa.

If you don't have time to sort the visa out before you get to Singapore, your helper can enter for 14 days as a visitor. But to save the constant journeys to Macau (and the risk she might be turned back by immigration), we went to the China Embassy on Tanglin Rd and got her a 60day visitor visa.

If you need more info, let me know.
    cheers
    Honkyblues

PS. To any HK immigration officers reading this, then obviously our helper is here purely as my companion and is not currently working.

Hi Millerwhisk

I have just sent you a PM

Merlion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast