Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Birth in HK - What do I do first?

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

Exclamation Birth in HK - What do I do first?

Hi

We are moving to HK in 4 weeks (I will be 25 weeks) and I just don't know where to start... Medical looks like it is being covered by the company so if I go private do I book the hospital first, then find a OB (for a booked ceasar) or do I need to book the hospital first?

If we go part private and part public - can I still book the C-Section with a private OB or is it up to the hospital and again do I book the hospital myself or through the OB?

Any ideas would be muchly appreciated.

jools is offline Registered User

Welcome to Hong Kong.

I moved to Hong Kong two years ago and was 29 weeks pregnant. At first it did seem quite daunting, but I asked lots of questions and everything went really well.

I got my gynaecologist first and they gave me a form for the hospital. I used the Matilda hospital (private), which was wonderful. I didn't have a C-section so someone else will need to help with that one.

Once you've started speaking to people, I think you will find that it's quite straight forward. There is a list on this website of gynaecologists for you to look at. I can thoroughly recommend Sally Ferguson, she was fantastic and has now delivered two of my children. I also used a doula (Hulda) from Annerley Midwives. I had Hulda for both my deliveries here. Not only is she superb in the delivery room, but she also is very knowledgable about the Hong Kong system and was actually the person who answered alot of my questions.

Good luck

Jools

aprilbaby is offline Registered User

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I used Lucy Lord, who was absolutely wonderful. Her practice deals with all the admin with regards to which hospital you deliver in all you need to do is send your insurance docs off. Lucys first choice of hospital is the Matilda, I delivered my baby by emergency c-section, they were wonderful. When you do go to your prefefed OBS for the first appointment let them know you want to deliver by section and they will give you a delivery date, approx 2 weeks before your due date.

When you deliver by section you need a peadtrician(?) present, I used Dr Ou at Lucy Lord and Associates, again she was very good.

Its really not that daunting, I was worried at first but everything was pretty straightforward.

good luck

A&A
    A&A is offline Registered User

Smile

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Boy? Girl? Multiples? Not saying yet? We moved here about 2 months ago when I was 17 weeks pregnant.

My suggestion is to pick an OB first and then you can figure out the hospitals. I am seeing Dr. Dawkins as my OB and he is fantastic! I had to see Dr. Ferguson once while Dr. Dawkins was away, and she seemed wonderful as well. They are both very caring and attentive.

One word of caution with your medical insurance, please check to see exactly what they cover. We were told our insurance covered all maternity as well... only to find out when we arrived that we are only covered for HK$6000-9000 (600-900Euros) and that is including ALL prenatal checkups with the private Dr.... so, by the time we get to the hospital, if we choose a private, it will be mostly out of pocket which is very expensive. Hopefully yours does cover everything. That would be great.

Once you become a Hong Kong resident, you are covered by the public health system here... which, if you read some of the other strings from this forum, you will find that the Dr. and nurse care at Queen Mary (pubic), for instance, is excellent. The rooms and food may be a bit lacking from what I am told, but the care is very good. Just make sure if you want the option of using a public hospital at public fees, apply for your resident card as soon as possible.

We too will be choosing an elective c-section (because I am pregnant with twins) and after discussing with many mothers and reading up on these great forums on geobaby, we will most likely decide to go to Queen Mary for the delivery and only use Dr. Dawkins as a private OB up until that point. Otherwise, if we choose private, we will use Matilda, and be ready to pay a huge bill at the end.

Depending on who you choose as your private OB, I believe they are individual as to which hospital they will deliver. For instance, Dr. Dawkins delivers at Matilda. And private Dr.s, I have been told, cannot deliver at the public hospitals.

These are things I have learned since I moved here. I hope it helps. I really found that once I settled into my OB, I was able to start investigating the hospitals.

Best of luck! If you have more questions let me know, or private message me.

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

Birth in HK

Thank you for your thoughts and encouragement - and congrats on twins - how cool!

carang is offline Registered User

and just a note... you CANNOT book an elective c-section at a public hospital. they will only do it if the doctors deem it medically necessary.

A&A

Dear carang,

is that true of women expecting twins as well? that you cannot schedule a c-section in public hospitals? I thought I heard differently, but this is a good point to clarify. I have an appointment with the public doctor this week and will ask him.

thanks.

A&A

Booking a C-section in Public Hospital

I met with a public doctor last week who said I could choose an elective-c because I was having twins. So Carang, you are right in saying that the doctors have to find medical reasons, such as high-risk, to schedule an elective-c. Otherwise they will suggest natural birth first.

Other than that, she did confirm that you cannot choose your doctor in a public hospital unless you are willing to pay private fees. In order to get the public fees, it is a matter of whoever is on shift the day you go in to deliver, whether it is natural or cesarean.

But, having heard so many great things about the Drs and staff at Queen Mary, I am not concerned about this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast