Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Anyone Hire a Filipino Helper Recently?

rani is offline Administrator

Anyone Hire a Filipino Helper Recently?

As of Dec 15, the Filipino Labor Dept is forcing helpers to undergo training and language courses of their host countries in Manila. Hence the processing time for helpers may be longer than 6-8 weeks for new contracts. Spoke to the Consulate today, and ex-HK helpers will also be re-trained. The training cost is US$200 but they're also not sure how long it takes.

Anyone hired anyone recently? Can you share your experience?

More info here:

http://www.philcongen-hk.com/media/news010807.htm

Last edited by rani; 01-17-2007 at 07:32 PM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

411needed is offline Banned
    Robinson Road + Fortress Hill + Cranbrook, UK

that's so gay

My helper heard that the training courses in Manila take 3-6 months.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

kellyst is offline Registered User

I saw this and called my agent to check. From what he understands, if helper is just renewing, seems like it's still ok, they can go back for vacation and return with no problem.

Huge problems for all the new contracts after Dec 15, 2006. He said basically, no filipino helper with new contracts has entered Hong Kong up til now, and the agency industry is grinded to a halt these few weeks. They are still trying to sort out what's going to happen, but there might be changes coming up.. but we don't know what yet.

I'm a bit bummed coz all of us (many of my extended family) depended on this agency practice to get us good/reliable helpers, for the past 20+ years, it's a bit annoying now they're changing the rules suddenly.

I said i'll call back to check later, he doesn't have too many answers for me now, as they're still figuring it out.

HKfornow is offline Registered User

I was told by my agent that the current law might not affect those who renew from here now, but if they go back for their mandatory exit in one year, they will have to have these certifications prior to returning (assuming the law still stands as it is now). From what I am told the HK placement agencies here are really trying to work things out with the Philippine labor department to adjust their stance (basically I think they are more worried about the agency fees aspect of it, since now they can not collect fees from the maids, they will collect all from the employers, they are quoting over HK$6,000).

re: the tests/certs maids have to pass (ie language), supposedly if they do not pass, they have to retake it until they pass it. To retake the test is 1,000 peso (approx HK$160). . . or they find a way to do this under the table to get a passing mark to come to HK or any other country they apply for.

As it stands, this rule prices the Filipinos out of the domestic helper market as most agencies in HK and other countries will push/recommend people hire Indonesian/Thai or other nationals, since the Filipinos just became too "expensive" and hard to get hired as domestic helpers. However, I doubt that the Philippine government will stand firm on a lot of it stance, as they rely on their labor force to remit funds home in order to survive, so we shall see what tactics they can come up with.

Thanks ladies for the update.

$6000 is a lot of money and you're right people are going to choose helpers from other countries. Not only will it be cheaper, getting their visa/paperwork approved will be quicker. Hope the Filipino Gov't comes to their senses and scraps the new policy.

Last edited by rani; 01-21-2007 at 10:01 AM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

drcookie is offline Registered User

latest

Hi what is the latest. I am looking for a helper and was recommended someone today. They are Filipino and therefore will be terminating the contract as their employer is leaving Hong Kong. I need someone pre baby who is due the end of May, and preferably the end of April. If someone is a direct hire from Hong Kong and only going back for the paperwork what is the situation and turnaround time.

Any news really gratefully received.

Thanks

HKfornow is offline Registered User

Drcookie, I believe that if it's a new contract, your helper is subject to the new rules, which means she have to pass all the tests.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast