Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Public Vs Private

Bubbly is offline Registered User

Public Vs Private

I have heard and read that a lot of people see both private and public drs throughout the pregnancy so that they have the safety of knowing that they can go public if complications arises.

However, with recent changes of rules in both private hospitals and public hospitals, we are now required to pay a deposit to private hospital in order to 'secure' a room (most private hospitals have a limit on how many can register). So if we pay this deposit, we cannot really choose to go public unless we forfeit the deposit.

Just wondering what everyone is doing about this or any thoughts? I am due in late May but the nurse already told me that it will not be possible to have my baby at several private hospitals as they are already full!:Butbut

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User

I had no idea they had changed the rules in the private and public hospitals, I have just registered at QMH to keep both public and private options open. I would be interested to know where you got the information. My obstetrician uses Matilda mainly and has not mentioned anything and I am due mid april. v worrying. What if you have planned c sect you may not know until the end.

Miller,

I heard the information about the registration for private hospitals from a couple of private Obs. I also called up Canossa (where I plan to have the baby) and they told me the same thing.

I was told that I cannot have my baby in HK Sanatorium (as it is already full in May), and Matilda is very nearly full for May also. Adventist still has a few places but I need to go register straight away and same goes for Canossa. So that pretty much sums up my options of private hospitals on the Hong Kong Island.

I have the same questions as you have about planning to do something and then changing my mind at the end. Not sure what to do... Anyone else have any ideas?

Nula is offline Registered User

Bubbly,

I just spoke to the Adventist hospital regarding a deposit and they said it was only for people NOT holding a HKID/PR. Are you sure that the other private hospitals are not the same?

rani is offline Administrator

Just got the following msg from the Matilda:

Regarding the deposit, HK$20,000.00 is required upon admission (we don't charge in advance, except for mainland passport holders).

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Hmm... that is strange. A nurse called me from Dr Alex Doo's clinic to ask me to go register and pay a deposit and told me the situation. Then I called another Ob, who told me the same thing. I called Canossa too and they also told me that they require registration and deposit.

I am going to Canossa tonight for prenatal, maybe I will ask them again. It makes me less confused if we do not need to pay a deposit!

I went to Canossa and confirmed that they require a $20,000 deposit for HKID holders. According to the nurse, the deposit is refundable but when I asked them whether there were any situations where they will not refund, she told me yes, but couldn't be more specific! I guess Canossa is the only one taking deposits then by the sound of it!

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

I'm really worry now. I just find myself pregnant !!!! But start to worry about the space in the hospital.
    Are all classes in Canossa/ HK Sanatorium / Matilda full ? I will give bith in Sept, shall I start planning to goes back to Australia or US to give birth ?

Bear Lau:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast