Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

No Confirmed Hospital Room!!!

LittleLams is offline Registered User

No Confirmed Hospital Room!!!

I am due in 6 weeks and my doc (Derek Lo) has told me that I do not have a confirmed room on my due date in Canossa due to the high influx of pregnant women. A little troubling as he only delivers in Canossa!! As I had a previous C-section before and am hoping to have a natural this time around, he has advised that if I go into labour prior to my due date, there should not be a problem getting into Canossa as they keep a couple of emergency rooms available. However if I do not go into labour before my due date, his advice is that as I had a previous C-section, I should opt for a C-section again. But since all the bookings for a C-section in Canossa are full for a week after my due date, the best bet is to secure a place at either the Adventist or Mathilda. But as he does not deliver in these two hospitals, I will probably have to go with another doc.

Is anyone else facing a similar issue with regards to hospital rooms? What a nightmare! We did not even need to book rooms when we had number 1 in 2005.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User
    What about still trying for a non-cesarean birth even after your due date? The problem with a pervious cesarean isn’t going over your due date it is being induced. Will the hospital be able to take you as an emergency if you go into labour naturally even after your due date? If yes, then that is what I’d do. Once you are in hospital they will look after you – even if it turned out that you needed another cesarean.

Yes, I am going to aim for a natural. Based on what the doc says I think it should not be a problem once I go into labour even after my due date. But he advises that I should not go too far beyond my due date.

rani is offline Administrator
    LL,

What a mess. Have you thought about just going to Queen Mary if Dr Derek can't deliver the baby? Best to call and check if they still have private rooms available.

Dr Derek also refers patients to William So. I saw him once for a check-up and he's ok. He delivers at Matilda, probably also at the Adventist. Another member has written a positive review for him in the directory, when she had her first. She was a bit disappointed with him the 2nd time, as he went on vacation a week before her due date.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Avi
    Avi is offline Registered User
    Hi LL,

I feel so bad for you especially when your due date is so soon. I'm 6 months pregnant and my doc advised to book a hospital last month. He told me that once the hospital reaches a quota of 100 then they do not accept any new cases. I was a little over 5 months then. I think this is crazy especially when i also didn't have to book the last time which was the same time around your first. I think this is crazy and I don't know if this is because of the high influx of chinese mainlanders coming to hong kong to give births but that's what my doc has said.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    shucks, sounds really scary, talk about putting people off of having more kids. whatever happened to the promise that locals should ALWAYS have priority and will be treated? i think they need to make sure that private hospitals adhere to that rule as well. LittleLams, i'm sure it will work out in the end, best of luck!

kashismum is offline Registered User
    If I were you, I'd take it up with your doc - he's fluffed it all up for you when it was his responsibility to book you in.

It's not fair that you should be pressured into a C-section for these kind of reasons. Of course, if you do go a week beyond your due date, most docs would recommend a c-section anyway.

Otherwise, I would try to relax. These things tend to work themselves out. You could always show up at the hospital in labour without a booking and hope they'd take you. If the worst came to the worst, go down the road to Queen Mary.

Good luck!

Thanks all. I am now booked for a c-section 6 days after my due date. My doc says that if I go into labour before then, it should not be a problem getting into canossa as they have a couple of emergency rooms for that purpose.

Rani, thanks for your thots on William So. Dr Lo did mention that I could try him at the Adventist or Matilda but somehow I don't think I will feel that comfortable if I were to deliver with a doc that I don't know!

Heads-up for those who are pregnant - confirm a hospital room asap!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast