Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

New cabin allowance restrictions and travelling with babies

NewMama is offline Registered User

New cabin allowance restrictions and travelling with babies

Does anyone know how the new security restrictions affect you if you are travelling on a long-haul flight with a baby? I've had a look at the video on the Cathay website but I'm still a bit confused.
    I know that you are limited to 100mls per container of liquid/gel but if you are bringing baby food and formula are you restricted to the number of containers?
    Are you allowed to bring a few sealed bottles of food and bottles of water for the formula? Or do you need to buy water after you have passed through the security checks? Or will they not allow you to bring a sealed bottle of water through if its more than 100mls even if you bought it after the checks?
    Anyone who has travelled with babies recently and has any advice they can offer, I would be most grateful. We have a 12 hour flight coming up and I don't know how to plan for it?!
    Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User
    why don't you just ask CX for baby food/water when you check in.
    they will have bottles of water on the flight. they will also have boiling water (for tea) so you can have warm formula too.

even when i travelled on china airlines with my 5 month old, when i checked in , i requested a "baby pack" this included diapers, wipes, food, juice. i was never guaranteed that i'd get exactly the same stuff each time, but they always gave me the back before take-off.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    we've never encountered ANY restrictions travelling with baby. We've travelled a few times with bottles, baby jars of food and another time with a whole tin of formula. In the US we were asked to taste a bottle of formula we'd just made up but that was it. The restrictions mainly apply to what you want to bring on for yourself. Try not to bring on anything you may be asked to leave behind.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    I thought I read where baby food was exempt. I know they are pretty relaxed about it in the US. Still, try to keep the amounts under that 100 ml level. Just had a friend who had an airline pour out enough of his face wash liquid to get him under 100 ml and then put it back in his luggage.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    water for baby was NOT exempted during Christmas. they banned ALL liquids. we were flying CX to Vancouver. we usually have one big jar of water in thermos and one bottle of normal water to mix milk. had to dump ALL of it. i was so annoyed everytime. it wasn't difficult getting hostess to get the milk mixed up at all, i was just annoyed at the fanfare that we need to go through at the gate. baby food and milk powder all went through ok.

ontheroad is offline Registered User
    It's OK if you get water from the shops on the other side of the passport control baggage check thingie.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    We have never tried to get baby water on board, just formula, expressed milk, etc.... We often carry bottles with the dry formula in them and get the airline staff to add water.

pianokc is offline Registered User
    I called CX, Civil Aviation and the airport authority of HK.
    March 21, 2007- the new policy and restriction for ALL departing flights will be effective.

NO liquids, or gels of any type over 100 mL will be allowed in any cabin luggage. That's including WATER - for babies or NOT. NOT allowed.

I asked them how I can bring my baby on board with formula.
    They told me I will have to find 100 mL bottles, separate the water in these bottles, put into 1 L plastic ziploc bag. 1 bag per passenger allowed.

OR- you will have to MIX the formula IN FRONT of the security check officers, convince them it's formula, and hold your BABY in your arms.

It's a pain... I think it's almost discrimination towards non-breast feed babies.

No long haul flight happening for us until baby is older.
    I plan to feed him before the flight, and during the flight, just give him baby jar food, and juice.

Then I will have my formula and thermos again right when I get my luggage back, mix one right away for him....

Hope that works.

NEVER give the water on board to your baby.... unless baby is old enough just to drink from bottled water without boiling.
    Under 1 year old, definitely do not .... it's not safe.
    This was instructed by Matilda Hospital, my pediatricians, and several articles I have read about travelling with babies.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast