Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Midwives in Hong Kong

surfdoula is offline Registered User

Midwives in Hong Kong

Hi,

I'm an apprentice midwife studying in the United States and would like to practice in Hong Kong after I finish my studies here. Both of my parents are originally from Hong Kong and travel there quite often. Although they spend a signifcant portion of the year in HK, they are unable to accurate tell me what the birth culture is like and even less, what the demands for midwife assisted births are. I would most be interested in homebirth or birth center work. Your website has been very helpful, but the last post I saw in regards to homebirth was posted in 2004. I also search the Annerly midwives webpage but it looks as though they work in the role of a doula during births. I am somewhat fluent in Cantonese so language would not restrict me from working with midwives who do not speak English.

Surfdoula

jools is offline Registered User
    It's great to hear of midwives who are into home births and birthing centres, however I'm sorry to say you will find neither of these things here in Hong Kong.

All births have to happen in a hospital. There are a few expats who try to have home births, but there is a huge amount of red tape and you won't find a midwife in Hong Kong willing to do it; people hire midwives from abroad specifically for the purpose. I do know of one person who managed to get a midwife here to agree to a home birth, but when it got nearer to the time they managed to convince the mother to go into hospital. If you accidently have a home birth i.e. you couldn't get to the hospital you can expect a visit from the police force to prove that the baby is yours. I have heard of people recommending you take photos of yourself pregnant to make sure. There is a huge issue here with Mainlanders having babies in Hong Kong, and then claiming all the benefits of living here, so they are very determined to keep a close eye on where people give birth.

The private hospitals tend to be more flexible in allowing the mother to birth in the way that she chooses. I have had tow very natural births here at the Matilda. The public hospitals tend to be more keen on maintaining hospital policy and rules, though I know lots of people who have been very happy to give birth in the public system. I also know one friend who managed to practice hypno-birthing at a public hospital.

As for working here as a midwife, you will have to take Hong Kong examinations before you can practice. As with everything here there is alot of bureacracy.

I hope that doesn't put you off, as being in Hong Kong is fantastic. It might be worth contacting Hulda at Annerley Midwives to discuss this further, as she a greater insight into what being a midwife here entails and she'll be able to fill you in on the qualifications side of things.

Bizeemama is offline Registered User

Smile

Hi, I am a midwife in Hong Kong, I birth coach and offer post natal services. I birthed my last baby at home in Hong Kong 8 months ago.
    Please pm me and I will be happy to make contact and talk with you about your options.

I thought home births were tricky here. We are planning on having a fourth child (not yet), but I would be really interested in a home birth for the last one. Where can I find out more information?

Jools, if you want you may pm me and I will tell you how I did it.
    Actually in the end it was very easy and to be honest not much fuss was made at all. When I went to register my baby's birth, the registrar asked me why the baby had not been born in a hospital or why I had not gone to hospital after the birth. I told her that I had chosen to birth my baby at home and it had been planned that way. From then on the registration process was simple. I needed to have two witenesses that were HK id holders (I used my two domestic helpers as they were both present in the house when the baby was born). I did need a photograph of me pregnant and I took a photographs of the baby a few seconds old and in my arms.
    When you think about it, I am pleased that they needed this proof that my baby was mine. It is a way of ensuring people do not abuse the system and "smuggle" newborns out.
    I had a fantastic doctor in HK who knew that I had planned to have my birth at home. I had ensured I had all the necesary emergency drugs, oxygen and neonatal resus equipment on hand (I am also a Neonatal Intensive Care trained midwife - so wanted to make sure I had every thing in place if it was needed).
    I flew my midwife in from Australia (because we had worked together for many years in a birthing centre and because she had been with me for my other births - she is also one of Australia's most experienced home birthing midwives). There are not enough home births in Hong Kong and so you really need to have peace of mind that your midwife will be very confident to be with you for the whole ride.
    In the end, I wanted to have my baby "unassisted". I began labour at 1am, I lit candles and sat in the bath. When I knew the baby was coming, I woke my husband and our baby was birthed into her daddy's hands at around 4.20am. The midwife sat quietly in the corner of the room and let us do the rest.
    It is not for everyone, I will be the first to admit that.
    For me, there was no other way. I had private insurance and many members in my family were astounded that I was not going to Matilda. I had many friends thinking that I would birth back in Australia my home country. In the end we made her and birthed her in Hong Kong - for us it was life changing.

rani is offline Administrator
    Bizeemama,

What a beautiful experience. Thanks for sharing.

:woman
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

Smile

Thank you Rani. Yes it was beautiful, but only what nature had intended of me!
    Listening to my husband whisper to our baby daughter as she was being born will stay with me for ever.

Your experience sounds so wonderful. I will definitely consider this as an option should we be lucky enough to have a fourth. I was unaware that it was possible here in Hong Kong, thank you so much for sharing your experience; I hope it will inspire others, it certainly has me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast