Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Not allowed in public hosp outside your area?

hkaussie is offline Registered User

Not allowed in public hosp outside your area?

My friend who's pregnant was told recently that she couldn't give birth in QMH because she's not in the zone for that hospital. Even though she would prefer to go to QMH rather than the local one, it seems that she's not allowed.

When I gave birth, I went to QMH although it was 45 mins away, so I was surprised by this. Does anyone know if they have changed the rules recently?

sunrays is offline Registered User
    I gave birth at QMH and live in Clearwater Bay. The nearest one is United Christian Hospital and although I was going to have my daughter there, some complications arose and so we decided to go to QMH. I took a referral letter to Tsan Yuk from a private Dr and they never questioned us at all. This was just in October last year so any change will be very recent.

jane01 is offline Registered User
    HKAussie - not the same thing, but about 5 years ago, my helper needed an operation on her knee. Our local GP referred her to Pamela Youde (sp?) in Chai Wan. When we phoned for an appointment, they wouldn't take her as she lived in DB, outside their feeder area. GP then referred her to (from memory) Queen Mary.

There was a 6 month+ wait for an appointment (not the surgery, just the appointment!). So we ended up paying for her to have a private dr and MRI and she had the surgery done in the Philippines, which we also paid for. But I digress...

Yes, there seems to be some sort of feeder area, no sure if it applies to maternity. Did your friend travel to hospital by ambulance? I have heard that they will only take you to the nearest public hospital. I have heard of women in DB having a letter from a GP or private OB recommending that they only have their baby at Queen Mary due to the risk of complications. I don't know if this works with the ambulance officers or not.

hkaussie is offline Registered User
    Hi Jane :)

She's only at about 22 weeks so hasn't had the baby yet. Part of the problem was she has started going to the local one for checkups, so is registered with them. Then when she changed her mind they told her she couldn't change to QMH because of not being in that area.

Sunrays, good to read about your experience.

Canucker is offline Registered User
    Hi hkaussie,

I am 23 weeks along and live in Tung Chung (beside the airport) but plan to deliver my baby at QMH. Mind you, it is the only place I have been going to since I found out I was pregnant. There is a hospital in Tsing Yi, but I won't go there because I have been told they don't allow husbands into the delivery room.

My husband and I have learned the "squeeky wheel" gets the greese in this city so I'm sure if your friend keeps pushing them they will let her in... mind you... I don't think a public hospital is allowed to say no to anyone are they?

Good luck,
    Canucker