Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Victoria Nursery Disappointed

wonderful is offline Registered User

Victoria Nursery Disappointed

Just started with my little boy last month at Victoria's Playgroup . I have heard that Victoria is a reputable school but quite money oriented. Thus I still gave it a try since it's reputable. However, after I started with them for a few weeks, honestly I am VERY DISAPPOINTED.

The playgroup lasts for 2 hours. 1 hour in Cantonese and 1 hour in English. The Chinese teach sometimes will sing English songs with the kids. Not only is she really loud, and often scared my child, her english is SO bad that I think kids will pick up on those poor accents.

Then the English teacher came along, all she did was to sit there and not even talk to the kids much and just let them play. I understand that we should just let kids play on their own, but she was really not enthusiastic about kids in general and always just sit there! Also, she has no passion with kids and sometimes talk to them in a loud and irrespectable way!

I think teachers for children at this age should be very loving, caring and encouraging. That's what I asked for from them.

In summary, they don't really love and enjoy kids. They don't have patience with kids as well. Totally totally disappointed.

mrs momo is offline Registered User
    May I ask which campus is this as I know they have a few branches. Thx!

It's the Harbour Heights Campus. You are welcome. =)

bbky is offline Registered User
    OMG, I had similar experience at the South Horizons campus. The Chinese teacher interacted quite well with the kids but I wished she'd sung more cantonese songs because it was, after all, a cantonese session. Shockingly, the English teacher didn't show any enthusiasm toward the kids...it was a first for me to see such lack of interest from a "foreign teacher". We did the playgroup last year, and although I had registered my child in the school in hopes that she can learn in a bilingual environment, the playgroup experience has rattled my confidence in the school and I'm having second thoughts. Maybe we'll just wait and see how my little one's teachers are when school starts next month before we pull out.

kara23 is offline Registered User
    It is appalling to read all the negative comments about Victoria! My elder son went to South Horizons Victoria for 2 yrs, and all his teachers were really good, esp the English teachers. They truly loved the children! When the Pre-Nursery english teacher left to go back to Canada, she even wrote my son a card and sent him stickers. Even now when we meet his Nursery class English teacher, she still remembers him. What has happened to the standard of teachers??! I have just applied for my younger son and now having second thoughts about it, even though it is highly unlikely he will get a space due to the long waiting list. This is really disappointing!

joannek is offline Registered User
    my nephew is going to harbour heights & he loves it. they have so many classes in nursery & K1 & maybe not all teachers are no good.

bbky,

I have the exact feelings as you and originally I was going to let him go to their kindergarten but now I have decided that this is not the school for us. I need teachers that are encouraging and have passion towards kids.

bbky is offline Registered User
    Wonderful,

Yes, it's so important to have teachers who are nurturing and passionate about teaching kids. The right attitude makes such a difference in a child's school life. As I said, we'll give it a shot and hope that the teachers we get will be somewhat "experienced". In any case, we will be transferring to another school in a couple of years...the main reason we pick victoria now is that it's only a few minutes walk for us. We just don't feel comfortable with the idea of letting a 3 year old commute so far to "school".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast