Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi-looking for Aussie mums-primary school/toddlers

nutterbutter is offline Registered User

Hi-looking for Aussie mums-primary school/toddlers

Hi
    We are in negotiations for a possible move to HK early next year. I have an 8 year old and 16 mth old twins.We are Aussies currently living in the US. We are looking for feedback on the Australian International School - and some idea of where families sending their children to AIS, live? We will also be looking for part time UK style nursery school for the twins later next year. Does anyone have recommendations?
    Thank you in advance.
    CC

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

Australian International Education

I have heard both good and bad things about the school and, although Australian, am not planning on sending my girls. I have opted so send them to a school that follows the International Baccalaureate (IB) system. The girls are on lists in Australia for a school that also follows IB.

Personally I don't think the Australian education system is all that great on an 'international' level and I would prefer they get a better education than I had!

I know it isn't much help but I noticed no-one else posted so dediced to put my 2 cents worth.

Good luck with the move.

Last edited by 0ze_Kid; 08-06-2007 at 02:34 PM. Reason: grammer wrong

Talking Thanks

Thanks so much for your input Vegemite kid...
    I was begining to think I was talking to myself..we are still waiting to hear what/where/when...so very frustrating.

We are presently in the US....and I was thinking AIS would help my 8 year old with her eventual arrival at an Aussie school in OZ ..which would be somewhat of a culture shock after being schooled in the US...also she hasn't been around Aussie kids since pre school in Sydney.So I guess it is the specifics of the issues of AIS that I would be interested in hearing. An "international education" is certainly something on our wishlist for her but at the same time I worry a little about the "emotional drain" (for want of a better term) of being a third culture kid (she was born in Singapore and we also lived in the UK, the Gold Coast and Sydney before arriving here when she was 5).

When we find out some more details about our move...and maybe even have a familiarisation trip booked," I'll come looking for you!"
    Thanks!

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User

Hi there,

Sorry for th late reply but I only just spotted your post as my daughter has been in hospital for a couple of weeks.

My 6 year old daughter currently attends AIS and we have been extremely impressed with it. I think you'll find that the reason not many people have posted back is that the majority of the mums who come to this website tend to have younger children who are not yet at school.That has been my experience anyway, as like you I came to this wesite originally looking for information about the school.Also contrary to what Vegemite kid has stated, AIS does offer the IB.If you go to their website you can find out more about the curriculum.

Saying all that though, we are actually about to remove our daughter from the school as we are finding the travelling too much. We live in Pokfulam and the school is in Kowloon Tong. We just feel that it is cruel to have to drag her out of bed every morning to put her on an hour long bus ride at 7am. Also, the majority of her friends live over Kowloon side which makes play dates quite difficult. If it wasn't for these reasons, we would definitely be keeping her there. I can't speak highly enough of the teachers and staff and the general environment over there.If you want to PM me I will be happy to give you my email address and/or phone number if you need any more information.

jyap is offline Registered User

Hi there, I'm thinking of sending my daughter to AISHK.
    My daughter is Australian & I would like her to get an Aust education in case we go back there in a few years' time.
    Do you mind if I send you a PM to find out more about the school ?

Not a problem,I would e happy to answer your questions.

Smile Hi-more questions

Soph & Wills mum..
    If you had the choice to move rather than changing your daughter's school, where in HK would be your choice?...my hubby is against living in Kowloon. I have these twins, so I 'd like somewhere where I can easily take them for walks, activities (a YMCA) , a gym and a supermarket would be nice!
    You mention that your daughter is presently catching a bus- is this a bus organised by the school? Do they have prescribed bus routes or do they do it according to the needs of the students? Is there an "aunty" or teacher on the bus to supervise?

BTW I live literally a 7 minute walk from my daughter's school...but she gets the big yellow school bus to and from..in the morning it takes 2 minutes but in the afternoon it takes 45 minutes because we are the last stop!!!! Whilst it is rather ridiculous, she and the neighbourhood kids LOVE their busride (they even do their homework sometimes) and to be honest I love that extra 45 minutes peace (it is also better than me trying to get two babies in a stroller to the school in a foot of snow at -10C) . If it is one thing I do like about the US-it is the yellow school bus- on the other hand sometimes you would think that their legs have all fallen off!

If we were to move for Sophie to stay at AIS, I would most likely go to Clearwater Bay or Sai Kung as that is where a large amount of the families live. It is really lovely out there although a little cut off I would say.There are families on the island but they are more spread out. Probably the largest concentartion would be around the mid levels.

Sophie's bus is a private bus run by the school with a 'bus mother'. It is a great service but the biggest problems are that it leaves at 7.00 in the morning and takes an hour. Soph also has fun as there are other little girls on the bus who get on at other stops(although we are the furthest away), but I just hate having to drag her out of bed so early in the morning. Also I would prefer to see her out playing in the fresh air for an extra two hours per day than couped up in peak hour traffic.

Finally, last Friday confirmed that we had made the correct decision. We had a number 8 typhoon alert(which turned out to be nothing.) Nonetheless, the city pretty much shut down with us on one side of the harbour and our 6 year old on the other. It really hit home that if there was some great disaster that I would be more comfortable knowing she was only just down the road.

All up,if it weren't for all the negatives of the travel I would definitely keep Sophie at AIS.There is a fantastic atmosphere out there and the staff really dedicated. Also, seeing that you have been away from home for so long, you may enjoy a little of the 'patriotism.' I love the assemblies where they all sing the national anthem followed by the very patriotic school song. They also have wonderful celebrations for events such as Australia day and Anzac day. It always feel so comforting when you are having 'homesick' days.

Anyway, good luck with your decision. Please let me know if I can help you further.
    Sally.
    p.s. I don't know if you have looked in to getting a position. It is pretty difficult as the waiting list is quite long. Do your kids have Australian passports? If so they will be prioritised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast